UConn women's lacrosse to travel Cincinnati Saturday

Senior attack Jacqueline Jordan looks for an open passing lane during the Huskies 17-14 victory over Marquette on April 12, 2017 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. Jordan scored seven points. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse looks to win three games in a row as they face Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio on April 15.

The Huskies improved to 5-8 on the season and 2-4 in Big East conference play as they beat Marquette 17-14 on April 12 at home.

Senior Jacqueline Jordan led UConn and filled the stat sheet with five goals, two assists and six draw controls. Junior Grace Nolan added four goals and three assists. Sophomore Cait Leary and senior Maggie Tripodi both tallied two goals and an assist and freshman goalie Grace Beshlian continues her stellar freshman campaign tallying eight saves in the victory.

“We want to be cleaner in our transitions and be able to stop the momentum by coming up with big defensive stops,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said. “We took a lot of shots against Marquette and we need to finish those a little bit more.”

The Huskies were up 16-9 against Marquette with 15:43 left to go in the game, but the Golden Eagles scored five-straight goals to bring the score to 16-14. Jacqueline Jordan would score the last goal of the game with 2:02 left to prevent a Marquette comeback.

“I think that we can improve on everything [as we face Cincinnati]. We need to continue to get better and better. They are a completely different team and a completely different way of playing and we have to prepare for it,” Woods said.

Cincinnati is 5-9 on the season and struggling in conference play with a record of 1-5. They played Georgetown on April 12 and lost to the Hoyas 19-7.

Freshman Monica Borzillo leads the Bearcats with a staggering 34 goals and 31 assists on the season. Cincinnati also has scoring coming from sophomores Amanda Donovan and Katie Stegmann, senior Elaina Enich, and freshman McKenna Rushford. Junior goalie Alex MacAffer spends the majority of the time in the cage averaging 13.42 goals against.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.