Women’s Basketball: Chong selected by Dallas with 26th pick in WNBA Draft

Saniya Chong celebrates during the Huskies 94-64 victory over the Syracuse Orange on Monday, March 20, 2017 at Gamble Pavilion to advance to their 24th straight Sweet Sixteen. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

After finishing her career as the winningest player in the history of college basketball, Saniya Chong is ready for her next endeavor.

The senior guard became the 33rd UConn women’s basketball player to be taken in the WNBA Draft after the Dallas Wings selected Chong with the 26th pick in the third round of the 2017 WNBA Draft in New York City.

Chong is the first Huskies player since Charde Houston in 2008 to be selected in the third round.

With the No. 26 pick, the Wings select Saniya Chong in the #WDraft17 Welcome to Dallas!

A post shared by Dallas Wings (@dallaswings) on

Since 2012, the Huskies have had seven players in the first round of the WNBA draft, including the first three picks of the 2016 draft. Each round consists of 12 picks because the WNBA has 12 teams.

Chong, who averaged 8.3 points and four assists per game while shooting 40 percent from the 3-point line this past season, will likely need to perform well in training camp to earn a spot on the Dallas roster and become the 16th active UConn player in the WNBA.

The Ossining, New York native’s stingy defense, scoring ability and experience from UConn will give her a better chance than most third-round picks. Chong’s ability to take care of the basketball, evidenced by finishing third in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio, will help her chances too.

The Wings finished 11-23 in 2016, their first season in Dallas after moving from Tulsa before the year began. Dallas finished fifth in the Western Conference and failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.