Men's Basketball: UConn adds Fordham graduate transfer

Antwoine Anderson, a graduate transfer from Fordham University, has announced his commitment to UConn for the 2017-18 season.

Guard Antwoine Anderson goes up for a shot in a game against Rhode Island. Anderson announced his commitment to UConn for the 2017-18 season, where he will play as a graduate transfer. (Photo courtesy fordhamsports.com)

Anderson, a 6-foot-1 guard, started all 32 games for the Rams, averaging 11.1 points per game in 2016-17 as a redshirt junior. Additionally, he had a total of 103 assists and 55 steals, good for second on the team.

He sat out his freshman year “per NCAA regulations,” according to the Fordham website.

Fordham finished their season 13-19 and lost in the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament, dropping an overtime contest to George Mason University 82-71. Anderson went 4-for-11 and scored nine points in that game.

With five scholarships open for next season, the addition of Anderson adds some much needed depth to UConn’s depleted roster. He will immediately be eligible for next season.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.