Baseball: Talking points in UConn's win over Quinnipiac

Junior Isaac Feldsteain (#26) is greeted by his teammates on the steps of the UConn dugout during Monday's game against Quinnipiac at J.O. Christian Field in Storrs, CT. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Rossomando continues to fill role

With two of the best pitchers in the American Conference in Mason Feole and Tim Cate as teammates, Ronnie Rossomando is the forgotten man of UConn baseball’s starting rotation.

Sophomore pitcher Ronnie Rossomando dealt through six innings against the Bobcats, letting up three earned runs. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The Stratford native usually pitches the midweek game for the Huskies while the trident of Cate, Feole and Wills Montgomerie handle the weekend series.

Yesterday, Rossomando pitched six innings giving up three runs and striking out a career-high seven batters in the Huskies’ win over Quinnipiac.

“Ronnie Rossomando should’ve been the story of the day. He pitched great. He was deserving of better offense…. He pitched really well and I am very proud of the way he handled the running game, he was able to slow that down,” Penders said Monday.

Rossomando has improved throughout the season going 4-1 with a 3.57 ERA so far, building off a strong freshman season in which he had six starts holding a 3.93 ERA in 34.1 innings of work and striking out 27 batters.

“I had a pretty good start last week and I just wanted to build off of that, eliminate walks, pitch strikes. Just my secondary was probably the best it's been,” Rossomando said after the win against the Bobcats.

Huskies Walk off History

Yesterday’s walk off win was the Huskies first at J.O. Christian Field since March 26, 2016 against Columbia.

The UConn dugout celebrates during their walkoff win against the Bobcats. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

On that day, the Huskies were down 3-2 entering the bottom of the ninth. With runners on second and third a Columbia wild pitch sealed the win for UConn.

Monday’s walk off win was slightly more traditional. With runners at first and second Jack Lambrecht hit a line drive to right field to seal the Huskies win.

“Pretty much he had trouble commanding his off-speed stuff so I figured he would come out with a fastball,” Lambrecht said. “So I took one the other way and did not try to do too much with it.”

Coach Penders heaped praise on reliever Sam Nepiarsky after the game. Nepiarsky entered the game for Rossomando in the seventh and pitched three shutout innings.

“Sam was great, he’s got that slow heartbeat and sometimes you wonder if he's got a pulse and that’s a really good thing, you need that. Everyone’s pulse was racing too hard in the batter's box and he was able to slow things down,” Penders said.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.