President Herbst to hold office hours Friday

UConn President Susan Herbst will hold office hours on Friday in Gulley Hall. Office hours are open to all students who have questions they want to ask the president. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut students will be invited to voice their questions and concerns to President Susan Herbst during her office hours on Friday from 10 a.m. to noon in her office in Gulley Hall.

“President Susan Herbst is inviting students to visit her office and share their ideas, suggestions, and questions with her at a special session of open office hours,” UConn Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.

Lucas Bladen, a fourth-semester political science and human rights double major, said a concern he has for Herbst to address is the increasingly corporate nature of UConn.

“One thing I’m worried about is the growth of the corporate style university that becomes more focused on giving services than on its basic mission of education people,” Bladen said.

Bladen said UConn can feel like it’s more of a city than a university.

“I feel like people forget we’re a school sometimes and it’s (UConn) become more like its own city,” Bladen said.  

Other students are concerned about the seeming disparity between UConn’s ecological objectives and its practices.

June Chu, a second-semester Spanish and physiology and neurobiology double major said she thinks the university should call for more snow days during the winter months.

“Out of concern for the safety of the student body, I think we should have more snow days,” Chu said.

Herbst held another set of office hours in March.

Reservations for Herbst’s office hours are not required but only UConn students may attend.

Anyone with questions about the event is invited to call University Communications at 860-486-0871.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.