Quick Hits: Baseball gets swept in New Orleans; men’s basketball picks up grad transfer

This week in UConn Huskies sports, the baseball team suffered a real setback of momentum on the road in conference play, while Kevin Ollie got some big news on the recruiting front. Kind of. That and more on this week’s edition of Quick Hits.

Huskies baseball get a taste of their own medicine, swept by Tulane on the road

After starting their conference schedule with back-to-back series sweeps the UConn Huskies baseball team had a rough going down in New Orleans and suffered a sweep of their own against the Tulane Green Wave. Despite coming into the week as one of the hottest teams in the nation and reaching the polls at No. 25, the Huskies just could not bounce back after a midweek loss to the Bryant Bulldogs.

The Huskies have dropped four straight contests after reaching #25 in the top-25 rankings. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The series, which concluded on Saturday due to Easter weekend, started with game one on Thursday afternoon. While the Huskies started out the game fine and took a 1-0 lead in the second inning, a horrendous inning on the mound and defensively allowed Tulane to bring home seven runs on just five hits.

The Huskies tried to rally back with a two-run eighth inning, but it was too little too late as the Green Wave stifled any comeback and took an 8-3 win into the weekend. You can read the game one recap here. The UConn bats went silent for game two, mustering just a single run on an RBI double from Zac Susi in the fourth. Starter Wills Montgomerie had a decent outing, going six innings and striking out 11 Tulane batters, but was still ultimately credited with the loss after allowing three runs. Without much run support, his effort on the mound was all for naught.

The Huskies started game three hot out of the gates, scoring three runs on three hits and an error. They would come out of the seventh inning stretch on top 5-2 and looked to salvage a victory in a lost series, but closer John Russell allowed three runs in a nine-out save attempt forcing the game to go to extra innings where a 12th inning RBI sealed the series sweep for the Green Wave.

Ollie adds graduate transfer Anderson to the men’s basketball fold

Guard Antwoine Anderson goes up for a shot in a game against Rhode Island. Anderson announced his commitment to UConn for the 2017-18 season, where he will play as a graduate transfer. (Photo courtesy fordhamsports.com)

For a team short of depth and with many roster spots to fill, getting any new player is better than nothing. For the first time in a while, UConn men’s basketball head coach Kevin Ollie managed to recruit a player to join the rebuilding Huskies.

Fordham graduate transfer Antwoine Anderson, who will be eligible to play immediately, announced he was committing to UConn for the 2017-18 season. Anderson is a 6’1” guard and will add depth to a solid UConn backcourt. He averaged 11.1 points per game last season as a redshirt junior for the Rams, and earned 103 assists and 55 steals, both second on the team.

While he does add depth, Anderson will slot behind Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital in the rotation, and perhaps even behind highly touted recruit Tremont Waters, if Waters decides to join the Huskies. At the very least, Ollie got somebody, which means he now only has four more scholarship openings to fill ahead of next season. Read the story on Anderson’s transfer.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.