A conversation with UConn’s class of 2021

Students cited a variety of different reasons why they chose to attend UConn, including specific programs, cost of tuition and a general draw to the campus and the school.  (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus) 

The University of Connecticut class of 2021 is beginning to form, as high school seniors from across the state and the country are deciding to attend the school next fall.

Students cited a variety of different reasons why they chose to attend UConn, including specific programs, cost of tuition and a general draw to the campus and the school.

Chris Loring, from Southington, CT, and Rachel Santiago, from Park Ridge, New Jersey, said that their being accepted into the engineering program strongly influenced their decision to attend the school.

“Being named a STEM scholar as part of the Honors College made UConn a good choice for me,” Loring said. “I really appreciate how living in Buckley will give me a small community feel, while still having all the benefits of a large school.”

“What set UConn apart from the other schools I applied to was that they made it clear that they actually wanted me, versus simply accepting me,” Santiago said.

Sarah Hill, from Middlebury, CT, said she was influenced to attend UConn after being accepted as an environmental studies major in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

“After researching the other schools I was accepted to, UConn seemed to have the best education for the least amount of money. I also liked the learning communities UConn has, and I’m hoping to join EcoHouse,” Hill said.

Jasmine Luna, from Stamford, CT, said her decision to attend UConn was based on its affordability.

“I’m not willing to go into a ton of debt, and UConn gave me the best deal,” Luna said.

What set UConn apart from the other schools I applied to was that they made it clear that they actually wanted me, versus simply accepting me.
— Rachel Santiago
Drone shot of UConn's beautiful Mirror Lake.  (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Deevena Annavariula, from Cranston, Rhode Island, said she fell in love with UConn at Admitted Students’ Day, and her experience there was the deciding factor in her decision to attend the school.

“A group of students who saw me asked if I was ready to commit to UConn. When I told them I was probably going to attend, they started chanting ‘UConn Huskies’ and they were so proud to have me be a part of their community. That’s when I knew it was the school for me and that I wouldn’t be lost, because it really felt like I was part of a large but close family,” Annavariula said.

Natalie Akumiah, from East Brunswick, New Jersey, said that UConn will make her feel like she’s truly a part of something, rather than just being another number.

“It’s a beautiful campus, has amazing sports and school spirit, and rigorous academics that will challenge me to do my best,” Akumiah said. “Also, I love how flexible UConn is with majors and their ability to craft a perfect path for each person.”

Dani Maculi, from Palo Alto, California, said because she is from across the country, she wanted to go to college on the East Coast to experience something new and different.

“I decided to commit to UConn because it’s definitely a super friendly and exciting campus. It seems like it offers the ultimate college experience,” Maculi said. “With people full of differing interests and activities, I’ll meet tons of people and hopefully make some great friends.”

It’s a beautiful campus, has amazing sports and school spirit, and rigorous academics that will challenge me to do my best.
— Natalie Akumiah

Students also mentioned certain clubs and activities UConn offers as factors in their decision to attend the school, including the club alpine ski team and the marching band.

University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said the school doesn’t have complete data on the makeup of the class yet because they are still receiving applications from aspiring transfer students and regional campus students and because admitted students still have a few weeks to secure their spot with a deposit.

“Some potential students also decide in the summer for a variety of personal reasons that they will not be joining us for the fall semester, so we don’t have firm numbers until that movement has partially or fully ended,” Reitz said.

Reitz said that as of right now, the class numbers are changing on a near-daily basis.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.