Love Art Sushi Cafe's burrito is the best on campus

Love Art Sushi has delivered another delicious creation; the sushi burrito takes the traditional burrito to a whole new level.  (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The folks at Love Art Sushi, a cafe in Storrs Center, have delivered yet again with their latest creation, the sushi burrito. The sushi burrito is similar to the restaurant’s makiritto snack wraps, which are seaweed rolls filled with rice and your choice of avocado, fried chicken, spicy tuna and more. However, the sushi burrito takes the dish to a whole new level by turning the seaweed snack wrap into a full-sized burrito that includes two proteins, up to four vegetables and one sauce to top it all off.

Having already enjoyed the makiritto, I figured I’d try out the super-sized version, which features avocado, chicken, zucchini noodles, tomatoes, scallions, red onions and creamy garlic sauce. Just one bite into my burrito and I was hooked. For one thing, the seaweed wrap added a particular texture to the burrito that I enjoyed more than I would with a typical tortilla burrito. Each of the vegetables added a fresh and juicy feel to the burrito that contrasted well with the rest of the ingredients.

Above all, the chicken, avocado, rice and creamy garlic sauce that made for an excellent mesh of flavor that I will definitely be coming back for in the future. In particular, the sauce was the perfect touch as it gave the rice and chicken an accentuated flavor that worked well with the avocado, giving the entire burrito a delectable taste.

The way the employees at Love Art Sushi prepare the sushi burrito is quite delicate. The person who made mine carefully pressed the white rice to make sure it stuck to the seaweed, cut each of the avocados and cherry tomatoes slowly and wrapped the burrito tightly to ensure it wouldn’t fall apart. He also cut the sushi burrito diagonally in half and double-checked that nothing would fall out of the wrap before wrapping the whole thing in paper once again.

The careful process of preparing the burrito was much appreciated from my standpoint as a customer. It was good to know that the employees went to great measures to make sure that the burrito was well made. The delicate preparation of the burrito probably made for a better eating experience, especially compared to other wraps like those at Moe’s or Grab and Go which can fall apart more easily.

In terms of flavor, the sushi burrito is very unique as well. The seaweed wrap and rice, along with the variety of vegetables, are not ingredients you will find at Moe’s or Grab and Go. They give it an edge over those wraps, in my opinion. Of course, it all depends on what you want on a given day – Tex-Mex or sushi – but from a comparison of taste alone, I definitely will slot Love. Art. Sushi.’s burrito up there with Moe’s. I have to give the burrito four out of five stars for its ingenuity, great flavor and careful preparation from the employees making for an all-around good experience.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.