Softball: UConn splits first American Conference series

A three-game series was originally scheduled for UConn softball this past weekend at Burrill Family Field, but poor conditions led to a relocation. The Huskies split the series. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

A three-game series was originally scheduled for UConn softball this past weekend at Burrill Family Field. However, rain and poor field conditions led to a double-header on Sunday at Eastern Connecticut State University in Willimantic.

The Huskies split the series with USF. The first game was a one-hit effort by the Bulls as USF won 9-0 in six innings. The offense didn’t pick up much for UConn in game two, but a solid pitching performance from Katie Koshes led to a 1-0 win and a series split.

Jill Stockley started things off for UConn on the mound in Game 1. Two hits and an error in the first inning led to a 2-0 deficit. Stockley continued to struggle into the second as USF’s Astin Donovan tripled to bring in two more runs. With USF leading 4-0, Chelsea Eckert entered for Stockley and got out of the inning. In the bottom of the second, UConn saw their only hit of the game off the bat of Devon Casazza, but the Huskies would strand two in the inning.

Eckert had a great effort in the third, pitching around a bases-loaded jam to keep the inning scoreless. After going down 1-2-3 in the third, USF added one more on an RBI single, making it 5-0. Chloe Kerns did her part in the fifth, throwing out a base-stealer to end the inning.

Kayla Doty entered for Eckert in the top of the sixth after Eckert gave up a three-run home run. Another RBI off Doty led to a 9-0 deficit. This score would go final as USF took the first game of the double-header in just six innings.

Koshes delivered a phenomenal performance for UConn in Game 2. The left-hander struck out the first six batters she faced to keep the game scoreless through two. Koshes picked up two more strikeouts before Valerie Sadowl hit a solo homer in the fourth to break the tie.

Two more strikeouts for Koshes in the fifth gave her 10 strikeouts for the third time this season, but she wasn’t done there. The sixth inning featured two more strikeouts. Koshes added another in the seventh to finish with a season-best 13 strikeouts in a 1-0 victory over USF. Sadowl and Kiwi McDaniel finished with multiple hits but the Huskies struggled to bring runners home.

UConn hopes to finally play at home this week with a game scheduled for Tuesday against UMass-Lowell, as well as a double-header on Wednesday against Hofstra.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.