Drink of the Week: Sanguine sangria

This week's Drink of the Week features a summery mix that is sure to distract you from your final exams. (Photo courtesy of minimalistbaker.com)

The end of the semester is so close you can almost taste it, which means the promise of summer is also sending intoxicating breezes of procrastination. As a graduating senior, the most important tip I can give you is to use your weekends wisely. If campus is dry and boring this weekend, stay in and party with friends. The inspiration for this punch bowl was found by a Virginia Tech writer in a 1935 cocktail recipe book, written on a typewriter and all. Try this out in the age-old tradition of getting lit on Spring Weekend. Probably called “Burgundy Punch” for the color and the Hokies, but I’ve tweaked it using a recipe from the Minimalist Baker and renamed it Sanguine Sangria (just think of it as the culmination of your year’s blood, sweat and tears).

Ingredients:

• one bottle of Malbec (red blended wine)
  • one apple, chopped up
  • two oranges, cut into slices
  • three-quarter cup of orange juice
  • two cups of seltzer
  • three tablespoons of brown sugar
  • one-third cup of cherry brandy
  • ice

Directions:

1. Add apple, oranges and sugar to pitcher or punch bowl and muddle for 45 seconds.
  2. Add orange juice and brandy, and muddle again to combine for 30 seconds.
  3. Add red wine and stir to incorporate, then taste and adjust flavor as needed by adding more brandy and/or juice. Stir to combine.
  4. Add ice and seltzer, then stir once more to chill. Serve as is, or with a bit more ice.
  5. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when fresh.

Enjoy!

All photos courtesy of MinimalistBaker.com

Francesca Colturi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.