Roundtable: Who was the best UConn men’s grad transfer?

UConn men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie has brought in multiple graduate transfers since taking the reigns of the program in 2012, and some of them have been very successful in Storrs. With Fordham grad transfer Antwoine Anderson joining the Huskies for next season, and the program looking to fill out more roster spots for the 2017-18 season, we asked the question: who was the best UConn grad transfer?

Antonio Salazar

When Shonn Miller arrived in Storrs in 2015, I was not sure what to expect. Coming from Cornell, where he had great numbers, I was not sure if he was simply able to use his athleticism to dominate Ivy League opposition. I was much more excited about Sterling Gibbs the clutch-shooter transferring from Seton Hall. But looking back, Miller definitely did more during his time at UConn. Miller started every game for UConn during his lone season, averaging 12.3 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. The forward was an integral part of the Huskies’ American Athletic Conference tournament championship run in 2016, earning all-tournament team honors after averaging 14 points and four rebounds.

UConn men played UCF at Gampel Pavillion on March 6, 2016.  Pictured is graduate student Shonn Miller holding his jersey (number 32).  (Bailey Wright/ The Daily Campus)

Matthew Kren

The correct answer here is the 6-foot-6 small forward from Queens, New York, Lasan Kromah, who was a vital part of the 2014 national championship winning squad. In his one season, he appeared in all 40 games, and averaged 6.1 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. Starting in 17 games, Kromah provided the championship Huskies with a great defender who could exploit mismatches with his size and length. In the tournament, Kromah shined in the second-round game against Villanova, scoring 12 points and recording a team best four steals. In the championship game, Kromah grabbed six rebounds, which tied him for the game high. Without Kromah, the UConn bench would have been lacking a skilled guard/forward who helped UConn whether they wanted to play small ball or pack it in the paint.

Pictured is Lasan Kromah from the UConn vs Yale game from November, 2013.  The Huskies won 80-62 at Gampel Pavillion.  (File Photo/ The Daily Campus)

Connor Donahue

Sterling Gibbs was one of the most exciting players to watch on the court during his time in Storrs. He started every game for the Huskies in his season with UConn, averaging 12.2 points per game (fourth on the team) and leading the Huskies in scoring 10 times, which was tied for the most that season. Gibbs was an electric player to watch, hoisting up threes from anywhere on the court, and he hit them too. His 79 threes led UConn. After transferring from the University of Texas following his freshman year, Gibbs played two outstanding seasons at Seton Hall before making his way to UConn with one year of eligibility remaining. Following UConn’s second round exit to Kansas in the NCAA Tournament, Gibbs broke down in post-game press conference when he was asked what it meant to play for UConn—truly showing Gibbs knew what it meant to be a Husky.

Pictured is Sterling Gibbs vs a UCF opponent.  The Huskies played UCF March 6, 2016 at Gampel Pavillion and won 67-46. (File Photo/ The Daily Campus)

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.

Connor Donahue is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s ice hockey. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.