This Week’s Winners And Losers

With another week in the books, it’s time to take a look at the winners and losers in the wide world of sports.

Winner: New York Yankees

New York Yankees' Chase Headley, right, celebrates his two-run homer with Brett Gardner during the first inning of the baseball game against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, in New York. (Seth Wenig/ AP)

The Bombers quickly redirected their season the right way following their 1-4 start, winning eight in a row heading into Tuesday. With a 7-0 record at home so far, the Yankees are baseball’s hottest team early on.

Seemingly out of nowhere, players up and down the lineup started producing. While the “Baby Bombers,” were supposed to lead the way this season, the Yankees have also been getting key contributions from veterans Chase Headley, Jacoby Ellsbury and Matt Holliday. Third base was expected to be one of the weaknesses of the team offensively, but Headley is leading the team with a .395 batting average.

Combining them with the strong play of Aaron Hicks, Aaron Judge and others, the Yankees have stacked up a formidable lineup despite injuries to Didi Gregorius and Gary Sanchez. The offense could become even more dangerous upon their return.

C.C. Sabathia looks as though he's having a renaissance season on the mound, posting a 1.47 ERA through three starts. His decline with age may be reversing as he transforms his pitching style. Michael Pineda has also been dominant since his dreadful first start.

Losers: Blackhawks and Capitals

Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne, of Finland, makes a stop against the Chicago Blackhawks during the first period in Game 3 of a first-round NHL hockey playoff series, Monday, April 17, 2017, in Nashville, Tenn. (Mark Humphrey/ AP)

The favorites from both the Eastern and Western conferences in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs have fallen into tough situations. The Chicago Blackhawks find themselves down 3-0 in their opening round series against the Nashville Predators. Meanwhile, the Presidents Trophy-winning Washington Capitals are behind 2-1 in their series with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It is surprising to see these powers struggling so mightily against the lowest seeds in their respective conferences.

A first-round exit for the Capitals would be especially devastating with their championship window winding down. After many years of early playoff exits, they can not afford to drop their series with Toronto. They also relinquished top talent for Kevin Shattenkirk, who they will likely lose in free agency.

Loser: Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Francisco Liriano throws against the Boston Red Sox during the first inning of a baseball game Wednesday, April 19, 2017, in Toronto. (Fred Thornhill/  AP)

It might be time to start panicking for the Blue Jays. They have a 2-11 record in their first 13 games, giving them the worst record in all of baseball so far this season. It is far too early to say that they are doomed this year, but they if they continue to lose they will buried deep in the standings all season. Although the loss of Edwin Encarnacion was huge, they were still expected to be a competitive team.

Dylan Barrett is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at dylan.barrett@uconn.edu.