Professor sends class link to pornographic video

Students of Philosophy 1102 received a surprising email from their professor the morning of Wed., April 19. The email contained a link to a pornographic video. (Pixabay/Creative Commons)

University of Connecticut Professor Keith Simmons sent out an email with a link to a pornographic video to his Philosophy 1102 class Wednesday morning.

“My initial reaction to the email was nonexistent, I did not even realize that this had happened. They then sent out a correction email saying that the link was broken and to disregard it,” Justin Schroeder, a freshman mechanical and computer science engineering double major who posted the email in the Buy or Sell UConn Tickets Facebook group, said.

The email outlined the instructions for the week’s assignments, a regular part of the class, Schroeder said.

The link at the end of the email was to a video from youporn.com of “PJ girls 18-year-old Morgan strips and spreads her teen pussy wide open.”

The professor quickly responded with an email reading: “please ignore the previous email, which seems to have been infected by a bad link.”

Simmons was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

“The university has been made aware of this matter and is in the process of reviewing it. It would be premature to draw any conclusions about what occurred until the university completes that review. We of course take the matter very seriously,” UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.

Schroeder said he decided to post the screenshot, captioned “Oh professor, is this philosophy or sex Ed class,” for the amusement of his peers.

“I decided to post it, because I thought that it was a funny blunder,” Schroeder said, “It’s not hurting anyone and I think that UConn deserves a little bit of a laugh with finals coming up so soon.”

Many students expressed their shock on the Facebook post.

“The reactions on the post were mostly along the lines of ‘OMG,’ ‘No Way,’ ‘This can't be real’ and people tagging their friends. Nothing really serious,” Schroeder said.

Many students took the situation in jest and posted comments like “Hope you all watched the video, it will be on the final.”

Schroeder said he does not think the situation should reflect poorly upon his professor and that it was likely an accident.

“Whatever it was, it could happen to anyone,” Schroeder said, “I think that it is important to say that there is nothing wrong with what happened, nothing illegal, nothing bad, just an error.”

Schroeder said he does not believe Simmons should be penalized for the incident.

“I don't think that there should be any consequences or retribution,” Schroeder said. “(Simmons) is an amazing professor and doesn't deserve any backlash.”

Schroeder said pornography is a somewhat ubiquitous feature of modern culture.

“Porn is like McDonald’s, it’s still going to be there whether you love it or hate it,” Schroeder said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.