Softball’s comeback falls short, drop 7-6 contest to FDU

The Huskies take on UMass Tuesday afternoon  at Burrill Family Field.  UConn beat out Umass 7-1 in their first game of the week. (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

After a successful 7-1 victory over UMass on Tuesday, UConn softball faced off against Fairleigh Dickinson Wednesday afternoon at Burrill Family Field. Kayla Doty got the start in the circle for the Huskies.

The offense got started early for UConn record, loading the bases on walks. Two hits and a Fairleigh Dickinson record error scored three runs in the first inning.

Doty struggled in the second, giving up two walks and two hits to score one. Then with runners on the corners, a home run by Ana Hayes to the left brought the score to 4-3 in favor of FDU. After getting out of trouble in the third, Doty came out for the forth and gave up a single and an infield hit to put runners on first and second. Doty’s day would end as Chelsea Eckert.

Eckert gave up a hit down the right field line on her first pitch that loaded the bases. The next hitter worked the count to earn herself a walk, scoring one. A fielder’s choice scooped up by Kiwi McDaniel and thrown home got the lead runner and the first out of the inning. Then, a single up the middle scored two more, making the score 7-3 in the fourth with runners still on first and second and no outs. Eckert gave up another walk but worked herself out of trouble without sacrificing another run.

UConn head coach Jen McIntyre said that she was frustrated by the amount of walks.

“It is what we adjust post game, is the walks. The walks have hurt us all year,” McIntyre said. “We can’t give teams free bases. It’s that simple.”

The Huskies got two runners on with two outs in the sixth, but failed to bring them home. However, UConn did not go down without a fight. They scratched out three runs in the bottom of the seventh to make it 7-6.

Ryne Nakama came to the plate with the bases loaded and grounded out to the third basemen which appeared to have ended the game. However, McIntyre said that FDU did not re-enter their first basemen properly and gave the Huskies another chance. But on the next pitch, Nakama grounded out to the pitcher.

McIntyre said that she was pleased with the effort shown by the team.

“It was great. It was good for us to continue to scratch,” McIntyre said. “I thought that the difference in this game, was in the seventh inning, we were a little bit more disciplined at the plate. They threw a lot of balls earlier in the game and we got ourselves out, swung at bad pitches. It was the theme that I told them all throughout the game and that was the adjustment in the seventh inning.”

The Huskies will take on Tulsa (29-13) in a weekend conference series at home.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.