Lazy Boy on Campus: Surviving Spring Weekend

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

Students prepare for Spring Weekend as they line up to get free stuff at the various vendors on Fairfield Way. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Spring Weekend. The two words that strike fear into any college administrator anywhere in the country. It’s the time of year that universities sink into hellish nightmarish copy of their original self. Luckily UConn has a great way to contain students hell-bent on causing destruction. They create alcohol-checkpoints. They ban non-UConn students from coming to campus. Those oppressive administrator are so bad that they even bring……………….food trucks to campus?

Basically, for those who don’t know Spring Weekend is the last time students can really party and hang-out before exams. In the past there have been some “negative” reactions to Spring Weekend, so the University tries to control the damage by creating “fun, engaging events” to entertain students. And by that I mean super dry, also they suck.

Clearly I’m not a huge fan of these events. They are kind-of fun at the beginning but get old really quickly. Also the University limits how fun any of these events can be by forcing students to get special wristbands to participate in the events. If for some reason you miss the deadline or lose your wristband you are basically confined to your room for all of the weekend. Luckily I’ve experienced Spring Weekend a few times before so I have a few ways that all of us can survive Spring Weekend without doing much work.

First and foremost go for a walk. It’s going to be fairly nice out over the weekend. With the weather being not to a hot and not to cool, it’s the perfect time to go for a walk up Horsebarn Hill, hike the Fenton Tract, or explore the Moss Sanctuary behind Mansfield Apartments. If you have a bike or a car then head on over to Mansfield Hollow. All four areas have super scenic views that will make for some great Snapchats and awesome Instagram photos. Also it gets you away from the mobs of people that will be on Fairfield Way.

Spring Weekend is also a great time to try the new restaurants in Storrs Centers. In the past few weeks both Grille 86 and Ice Monster have opened in Storrs Center. By this weekend both places will have time to work out any major kinks that they have in the restaurant. Also most Spring Weekend events have some kind of free food so you’ll be able to avoid a rush of a ton of people also trying to get the same food. You’ll basically have a lot of Storrs Center to yourself so spend some time relaxing and trying out the new restaurants and locations. Also Grille 86 will have every single game if that’s your thing and has a great drink list if that’s your thing (and you are of legal age, seriously).

The last one is pretty straightforward. Hang out with your friends. In one week all of you guys are going to be crowded into the library working and cramming for all of your exams. So instead of partying (it’s cool if that’s your thing) and forcing yourself to have fun at some UConn run event on Fairfield Way just relax with your closest buddies. Grab some ice cream from the Dairy Bar or even go just hang out in someone’s dorm and play some board games. If you don’t have any board games, then you can always go play some video games in the Union.

Spring Weekend can be fun but stressful especially with the university basically controlling what you can and can’t do. Luckily these few tips above will allow you to have a little bit of fun with minimal effort and without having to deal with the university.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.