UConn lacrosse looks for fourth straight win against Villanova on Saturday

Senior Molly O'Reilly (5) sprints down the field during the Huskies 14-6 loss to the Georgetown Hoyas on March 25, 2017. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse picked up its third-straight win against Cincinnati on Saturday beating the Bearcats 18-11. The Huskies are now 3-4 in the Big East and 6-8 for the season overall.

The Huskies finished the game against Cincinnati with 34 shots on goal and nine saves from freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian. UConn scored 17 goals overall in their other two wins within the streak. The Huskies also defensively caused 30 Cincinnati turnovers and broke up 10 Bearcat clears.

UConn’s win against Cincinnati gave them a season high of 18 goals on Saturday. Senior Jacqueline Jordan scored four goals in the Huskies’ win against the Bearcats. Sophomore Cait Leary also had a career high of three points in their matchup Saturday.

UConn junior attacker Grace Nolan tied the school’s record for points in a game 10 points against Cincinnati, recording five goals and give againsts for the Huskies. Nolan was named Big East Attacker of the week after scoring a total of 17 points in a 2-0 week. Nolan was responsible for four goals and three assists in a 17-14 win against Marquette and five goals and five assists in the 18-11 win against Cincinnati on Saturday. UConn’s Shannon Burke set the previous record against Central Connecticut in 2007.

Nolan leads the Big East with a 4.86 points per contest average. According to UConn’s Athletic Department, Nolan is fourth in the league with 40 goals and fifth in assists with 27.

The Huskies will travel to Philadelphia to face the Villanova Wildcats this Saturday on April 22. Villanova is currently 3-11 in the season after their lost to the Denver Pioneers and 1-6 in the Big East. The freshman players on the Wildcats accounted for all 10 goals scored for Villanova in their last game. UConn will look for their fourth win in the streak this Saturday, April 22 in Villanova, Pennsylvania at 12 p.m.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.