Baseball: Huskies’ struggles on the road continue with series loss to UCF

Despite a strong season start, the UConn baseball team has slid recently, narrowly avoiding a second conference sweep. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

With a win in game two of this weekend’s series against Central Florida, the UConn baseball team was able to avoid being swept in conference play for the second consecutive weekend.

UConn had a series to forget, losing the second and third games by a combined 15 runs as starters Tim Cate and Mason Feole were pulled after three innings of work. All three starters— Cate, Feole and Wills Montgomerie — gave up five earned runs in the series.

Heading into the series against UCF, the Huskies were coming off of back-to-back wins over Quinnipiac and UMass Amherst. Following this weekend's results UConn is now in a three-way tie for third place in the American with UCF and USF at 7-5.

Zac Suzi (#23) takes a cut during UConn's game against Quinnipiac. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

In game one, Cate took the mound for the first four innings, allowing eight runs on 11 hits. On offense, UConn struggled to hit off of UCF’s Robby Howell, who had a no-hitter through six. Keith Kruger would break the no hitter with a double to left field and would eventually score the Huskies’ lone run of the game.

The bullpen was able to stop the bleeding for UConn as Joe Rivera, Doug Domnarski and Andrew Zapata threw 4.2 hitless innings for the Huskies to close out the game that would end 8-1.

UConn evened the series in game two with a 6-5 win. The Huskies offense came to life on Saturday as the team got off to a great start with five runs on seven hits in the first three innings.

Montgomerie struggled after throwing three scoreless innings to start off the day, allowing five in his last three innings of work, before exiting early in the sixth.

Heading into the eighth inning the score was tied at five, before Tyler Gnesda hit a solo shot over the left field fence to give the Huskies the lead.

John Russell would come on for UConn to seal the game and get his 11th save of the season.

In game three, the Knights once again got off to a great start with four runs in the first inning off UConn’s Feole. The loss would be the southpaw’s first of his career at UConn.

Through five, the Huskies were down 6-0 before Kruger and Willie Yahn notched a pair of RBI’s to cut the lead to four. Despite managing nine hits on the day, the Huskies could not capitalize on their chances and lost 8-2.

The Huskies return to action on Tuesday when they take on Holy Cross at J.O. Christian Field in the first of a five-game homestand. Rhode Island and Cincinnati will also come to Storrs during that stretch.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.