Chris Hanna gives Ice Monster the cold shoulder with a hot take

Students that had eagerly awaited the opening of Ice Monster stood in line for over an hour in a packed room. (Francesca Colturi/The Daily Campus)

Aesthetic & Organization:

In this new Storrs Center addition, the white walls and simple decorations make the restaurant look clean and new with playful elements of colorful succulent plants, a massive chalkboard menu and a cartoon-style logo.

During opening weekend, the process started with ordering at a small counter in the center of the restaurant and waiting in a mob of customers for one of five or six employees to call out your name and start creating your dish.

On a less crowded day it might be more enjoyable to watch the employees turn cream into dessert, mixing strawberries or peanut butter together and scraping it into delicious rolls, but among hungry villagers, it is not fun at all.

Price:

For the first four days of its opening, Ice Monster offered customers a discounted price of $5 for any flavor with unlimited toppings.

This two dollar discount from the usual price of $7 made the long wait for rolled ice cream only semi-worth it.

The biggest issue is that on a normal day with no deal offered, $7 is going to be too much given that you can get Dairy Bar ice cream for less and, more importantly, a cup of FroyoWorld’s nitrogen lab ice cream for less as well.

Plus, FroyoWorld is significantly closer to campus than Ice Monster on the opposite end of Storrs Center.

Service:

The opening day service was poor, at best.

I’d like to cut them some slack given how it was a long day filled with plenty of customers eagerly awaiting the creative rolled up ice cream, but the truth is I’m not going to cut them some slack because I don’t like waiting over an hour for ice cream.

You’d think that this would change with less customers strolling in after the opening week craze settles, and it will change a little bit, but the process of making ice cream rolls from a cream and a few other ingredients is slow regardless of how many customers are in line (or in one bundle of 50 people).

On top of that, the menu said you could get unlimited toppings. That is essentially a lie.

Each person receives the same amount of ice cream, squeezed into a big cup with little room for the unlimited toppings.

The assortment ranges from fruit to sprinkles, cookies to dipped dessert sticks and your masterpiece is given to you once your topping craving is satisfied… or you’re tired of asking for more. And when you can ask for Reese’s peanut butter cups and the employee will put just one on your ice cream. You ask for more? You get one, single extra cup. Same goes for every other topping you ask for.

It doesn’t help that the rolled ice cream leaves no room for many toppings but you’d like to at least be given a bit more when you ask for it.

Ice Monster promised "unlimited" toppings but for the most part students would receive only one topping from each they requested. (Francesca Colturi/The Daily Campus)

Taste:

After the longest wait for ice cream in my life, I finally got my first taste of Ice Monster’s rolled ice cream creation. Both Francesca and I got the Reese’s Blast flavor and at least from my perspective, it definitely tasted like a normal peanut butter ice cream. It was cool that it was rolled and had a rich, peanut buttery taste, but there was nothing special about it that would make me want to come back for the price of $7.

I have to give Ice Monster one out of five stars. Rolled ice cream is a nice little idea and a cool way to serve ice cream, but when it comes down to it, I like getting my ice cream quick and I like getting my ice cream cheap. I also like getting plenty of toppings on my ice cream or frozen yogurt. Since Ice Monster doesn’t check off any of those boxes, I can’t help but give it a bad review.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.