Huskies head to Rhode Island to battle Rams

Ronnie Rossomando throws a pitch during the Huskies 4-3 victory over Quinnipiac University on April 17, 2017. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at Bill Beck Field in Kingston, Rhode Island. The game was initially supposed to be played at J.O. Christian Field, but because of inclement weather was moved to Rhode Island. On May 16 the Huskies will welcome Rhode Island to Storrs.

UConn’s Last Time Out: The Huskies enter today's game coming off a 2-1 series loss against Tulane.  

Rhode Island's Last Time Out: The Rams are heading into today's game on a two-game win streak after a doubleheader sweep against George Washington in Atlantic 10 play. Rhode Island won the two games 7-1 and 5-2.

Series History: Last season, UConn won the lone meeting between the two 14-4.

Matchups: UConn (22-16, 7-5, The American) vs. Rhode Island (21-16, 10-4, Atlantic 10).

Probable Starting Pitchers: Ronnie Rossomando (2-1) vs. Jake Walker (1-1)

In his last start, Rossomando pitched six innings, striking out seven and allowing three earned runs in a win over Quinnipiac.

Walker is coming off a two-inning start against Hartford in which he gave up no earned runs. Throughout the season Rhode Island has taken an unorthodox approach to midweek games. The Rams have used a variety of pitchers from the bullpen to get them through midweek games, with each pitcher throwing a couple of innings.

URI Players to Watch: The Rams are led by Chris Hess and Jordan Powell, who are ranked second and third in the A-10 in batting average. Hess is hitting .364 with 32 RBI on the year, while Powell is hitting .357. Another batter that the Huskies will be wary of is outfielder Mike Corin. Corin is currently tied for the conference lead in home runs and RBI with 11 and 37, respectively.

Talking Points

Twins?: The two teams hold nearly identical records on the season. UConn is 22-16 overall with a 5-1 record at home, while Rhode Island is 21-16 and 5-1 when playing at home.

Road Struggles: The Huskies are 1-5 in their last six road contests. After starting their year 12-8 on the road the team has struggled away from J.O. Christian Field recently.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.