Outgoing USG speaker proud of past year

Former USG speaker of the senate George P. Wash speaks at the USG debate in the Student Union on February 23, 2017. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Outgoing Undergraduate Student Government speaker George Wang has a lot of positive memories regarding the organization.

Wang said he’s proud of several initiatives and moves USG has made this past year. One piece of legislation showing support for undocumented students was a high point, Wang said.

Wang also said improving transparency of the organization has been a “positive step,” making it more accessible to students and media like the Daily Campus, UCTV and WHUS. Wang praised the organization’s recent move to hold a town hall with different clubs to talk about funding cuts.

Wang said one of USG’s greatest accomplishments this past year was seeing large participation among new members

“Senators who came in as (first-year) senators started to speak, moved to make amendments and I think that’s one of the big successes of this year’s senate,” Wang said. “We were able to create an environment for the senators to grow.”

Wang said this year’s senate leadership worked to create that environment and it paid off.

“There’s no time in my recollection that senate leadership has ever worked as cohesively as it has this year and that’s honestly a testament to every single person that’s on it,” Wang said.

Looking forward, Wang said USG should continue to improve upon its transparency and reaching out to students.

“I think it’s important that we do town halls revolving around (funding),” Wang said.

Wang also said the organization should look to have stronger involvement with administration, specifically bringing them to senate meetings, which is something he’s discussed with newly-elected speaker Nandan Tumu.

At times, the end of the semester seems to be a scramble to cut money from USG’s budget to prevent a deficit. Wang said the organization should look at further cutting its own expenses, before it considers slashing funding to the almost 700 student clubs on campus that depend on USG.

“I enjoyed banquet, but I don’t think it’s necessarily responsible… for us to go somewhere far away to a nice, fancy place,” Wang said.

Next year, Wang will be the chair of USG’s elections oversight committee. He said over the summer, he plans to continue reaching out to students and increasing USG’s involvement across campus.

Schae Beaudoin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.