UConn named second best online school for students with disabilities

UConn was recently ranked the second best online school for Students with Disabilities and twelfth on the 25 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Students with Disabilities. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut was recently included in multiple lists ranking online schools for students with disabilities.

The school was ranked second on the 2017 Top Online Schools for Students with Disabilities and twelfth on the 25 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Students with Disabilities.

The lists were assembled by SR Education Group, an education research publisher founded in 2004.

In order to be considered a top online school for students with disabilities, colleges needed to offer four or more fully online degrees or ten or more online programs including certificates, according to a press release. Using the schools that met those criteria, SR research group calculated a Disability-Friendly Score using an internal algorithm.

“To develop the list, we evaluated over 1,200 schools on factors indicative of the level of support provided to students with disabilities, like thoroughness of resources, Universal Design for Learning (UDL) training for faculty, availability of distance learning accommodations and the variety of services provided,” said Taitum Ridgway of the SR Education Group.

Forty-seven colleges made the list, each receiving a score greater than 50 out of 100. UConn received a score of 89.89.

SR Education Group collected the tuition data of the forty-seven schools and out of those, the 25 schools with the lowest annual tuition rates were ranked as the 2017 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Students with Disabilities. UConn received the highest Disability-Friendly Score out of the schools on the affordability ranking.

SR Education Group is headquartered in Kirkland, Washington, and its mission is to create authoritative online resources for students seeking an online education program that best suits their budget and career aspirations.

“SR Education Group is passionate about making quality education attainable for everyone and believes that objective information about education, careers and educational financing should be free and easily accessible,” the press release said.

Stanford University was ranked as the top online school for students with disabilities, with a score of 96.67. The University of Louisiana- Lafayette and Utica College were tied for third place, with scores of 88.78.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.