Women's Basketball: Natalie Butler to transfer to George Mason

Natalie Butler (#51) will transfer to George Mason and play immediately as a graduate transfer. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Redshirt junior Natalie Butler will transfer from the UConn women’s basketball team to George Mason University according to a press release from the team. Butler, a Fairfax, Virginia native, will be eligible to play immediately for George Mason as a graduate transfer.

“I would like to thank Coach Auriemma, the coaching staff and my teammates for a great opportunity and learning experience,” Butler said in the release. “I've had the opportunity to play at an elite level and learn from the best. I would also like to thank the UConn fans - you ARE the best and have been incredibly supportive during my career. I now look forward to pursuing my postgraduate degree at George Mason University and the challenges that lie ahead. Thank you!”

Butler joined the Huskies three seasons ago as a transfer from Georgetown, coming off a freshman season in which she was named the Big East Freshman of the Year after averaging 13.9 points and 13.4 rebounds per game.

Her UConn debut started later than expected due to a thumb injury, but Butler finished her career in Storrs with appearances in 63 games and an average of 5.5 points and 4.6 rebounds per game. She was a part of two national championship teams, one of which was during the season she sat out due to NCAA transfer rules.

I would also like to thank the UConn fans - you ARE the best and have been incredibly supportive during my career.
— Natalie Butler

UConn women’s basketball head coach Geno Auriemma issued a statement on Butler’s decision to pursue her graduate degree.

“I have really enjoyed getting to know Natalie and her family,” Auriemma said.  “I understand why she has decided to transfer to George Mason and am happy that she will be able to play right away while pursuing her postgraduate degree.  We’ll miss Nat and everyone at UConn wishes her all the best in the future.”

Dan Madigan is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.