Huskies struggle in rainy Rhode Island

The Huskies take on Memphis again at J.O. Christian Field on a beautiful Sunday morning.  The Huskies ended up sweeping Memphis this weekend 3-0 with a final win 4-0. (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

On the first weekend of April, UConn swept East Carolina to improve to 12-7 in road games. After an ugly 7-2 loss to Rhode Island on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, the Huskies dipped below .500 on the road with a 13-14 record, having lost seven of their last eight games away from Storrs.

The game was originally scheduled to be played at J.O. Christian Field in Storrs, but the weather forecast forced the game to be played in Rhode Island. The weather certainly managed to play a factor as the rain fell throughout the game.

UConn (22-17) dug itself a 6-0 hole after the fourth inning, and the Huskies couldn’t put together enough offense to come back. After Willy Yahn and John Toppa recorded back-to-back singles to lead off the game, UConn only managed three more hits the rest of the way.

Yahn was the lone Husky to record two hits on the day, raising his average to .309 on the season and passing Zac Susi for second place on the team.

Ronnie Rossomando started on the mound for UConn, going four innings and giving up six runs (five earned) on nine hits while striking out six. The sophomore was unable to maintain the momentum of his last few starts and his ERA climbed to 4.68 on the season. Rossomando pitched five innings and allowed just one run against Bryant two weeks ago, and threw six innings of three-run ball against UMass last week.

Rhode Island (22-16) improves to 6-1 at home with the win. The Rams were led by second baseman Chris Hess, who went 4-4 on the day with three RBI and two runs scored. Hess improved his average to a sparkling .381 and his 59 hits are 13 more than any UConn player, despite the Huskies playing one more game than the Rams.

URI starter Dom Grillo gave up three hits and three walks over 4.2 innings but held the Huskies scoreless. The Rams’ bullpen picked up where Grillo left off, limiting UConn to two hits and allowing no earned runs – the Huskies scored two runs unearned.

A positive on the day for UConn was a stellar game from the bullpen. With Rossomando leaving the game after the fourth, P.J. Poulin, Ryan Radue and Jacob Wallace combined for four innings, allowing just one run on two hits and no walks.

UConn will look to shake off the midweek loss with an important conference series with Cincinnati this weekend at J.O. Christian Field.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.