UConn NFL Draft Preview

Today is one of the biggest days on the National Football Leagues calendar, the NFL Draft. Out of former UConn players, Obi Melifonwu is by far getting the most attention entering the 2017 draft, but he will likely not be the only Husky to hear his name called at some point in the next few days. According to the Times Herald-Record, there were 25 NFL scouts at Huskies Pro Day this year.

Despite relatively poor results in recent past, UConn has continued to churn out professional players. There were 17 former Huskies in the NFL last season.

Obi Melifonwu

Pictured: Obi Melifonwu, UConn defensive back at UConn Pro Scouting Day in Shenkman Training Center March 22, 2017. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Melifonwu exploded up draft boards with a monster combine. The defensive back has held pre-draft meetings with a variety of teams including the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers and the New England Patriots, among many others. According to Todd McShay, the Massachusetts native is the 45th overall prospect in the 2017 NFL draft. Fellow ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. has Melifonwu ranked as the No. 64 on his big board.

Noel Thomas

Pictured: Noel Thomas, UConn defensive back at UConn Pro Scouting Day in Shenkman Training Center March 22, 2017. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Thomas set a school record for receptions last season with 100 to go along with three touchdown catches for 1,179 yards. Thomas was the only other Husky invited to the 2017 NFL combine. According to Kevin Boilard of 247Sports, Thomas worked out for the Giants in the buildup to the draft. After Melifonwu, Thomas is the closest player to be a sure bet to get drafted. According to NFL.com, Thomas’ route running and consistency are the Norwalk native’s biggest weaknesses, and will influence when he is picked.

Jhavon Williams

Pictured: Jhavon Williams, UConn defensive back at UConn Pro Scouting Day in Shenkman Training Center March 22, 2017. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Williams is looking to join a long list of defensive backs from UConn now in the league. The cornerback spent some time working out for the Miami Dolphins this offseason. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. has Williams ranked as the 293rd player in the draft. The Florida native was a three-year starter for the Huskies with 174 tackles and 5 interceptions during his time in Storrs.

Andreas Knappe

Pictured: Andreas Knappe, UConn offensive lineman at UConn Pro Scouting Day in Shenkman Training Center March 22, 2017. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Knappe’s physical tools alone are garnering him attention from NFL teams. The Dane is a resounding 6-foot-8 and 325 pounds. One thing that works against the lineman’s favor is his age, 25, which is older than most players coming out of school. Knappe is also very raw for someone his age as he only started playing football at 18.

Mikal Myers

Pictured: Mikal Myers, UConn defensive lineman at UConn Pro Scouting Day in Shenkman Training Center March 22, 2017. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Myers had a solid last season at UConn that will likely give him at least a shot with an NFL team as a undrafted free agent. Myers logged 51 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles for the Huskies last season. According to the Times Herald-Record, the Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs are all interested in Myers.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.