UConn's greatest female athletes of all time

UConn has a rich history of producing fantastic female athletes. One can instantly point to the success of the women’s basketball team under Geno Auriemma and might not be able to count the number of superstars on two hands. But that’s not all: UConn has also produced great female athletes in field hockey, ice hockey and soccer. In this Women in Sports Week-themed roundtable, the DC Sports staff debates who they think is the greatest female athlete of all-time to walk through the halls of UConn.

Mariana Dominguez, Campus Correspondent

Pictured: Maya Moore (number 23) played for UConn against Florida State on March 30, 2010.  Our writer believed that Maya Moore was the most memorable female UConn athlete. (File photo/ The Daily Campus)

For me the answer to this is simple- Maya Moore. Moore has not gone consecutive years without a championship since high school. She has been a WNBA champion three times with the Minnesota Lynx and has been named finals MVP, league MVP, and All-Star Game MVP. This past season she also named one of the WNBA’s Top Twenty at 20 Players. On top of all that, she also has two Olympic gold medals. During her time at UConn, Moore won pretty much every individual award possible and led her team to four Final Fours and two National Championships. Moore brings an incredible work-ethic and passion to every team she has been on. When Maya Moore is on you’re pretty much guaranteed success.

Daniela Marulanda, Campus Correspondent

Pictured: Breanna Stewart (number 30) plays against USF in their final game of the season in 2016.  Stewart is also in the running for being one of UConn's most memorable female athletes.  (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

There is no else but Breanna Stewart. Everybody knows the anecdote of Stewie walking to campus and signing her letter of commitment on top of her car as if nothing big had happened. There is also the famous story where she set the goal of winning four national championships. It had never done before. She was also named the Most Outstanding Player of NCAA Tournament four years in a row and Player of the Year award three years in a row. That had also never been done before. She was the No. 1 pick in the 2016 WNBA Draft and then was rookie of the year. I think the staple of being a great player is making things look easy, and that’s what Stewart did. She worked and trained hard, but when it was game time, she made it look so easy. Simple, graceful, elegant. Not to mention she is one of the players that carried UConn to the never-before-seen 111 wins in a row.

Josh Buser, Staff Writer

The Huskies take on QU at the Sherman Complex and pull off another win with a score of 5-1. Pictured is Charlotte Veitner (number 26).  (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

While the Huskies’ women’s basketball program has produced several great athletes over the years, field hockey superstar Charlotte Veitner is rewriting the UConn record books. Veitner is just entering her senior season in the fall, but she already holds school records in goals, assists and points. In her junior year, Veitner scored 27 goals and 17 assists, ranking second in all of Division I with 2.96 points per game. Included in her record-breaking season was a six-goal game against Virginia (a single-game record for UConn) and a game-winning overtime goal against Syracuse to send the Huskies to the Final Four. Veitner’s athleticism was on full display during a game against UMass this season when she weaved around the defense before scoring a beautiful reverse shot into the top left corner. The goal was featured on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays, a rarity for field hockey, showing how special Veitner really is.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.