Connecticut summer concerts to look out for

Connecticut resort and casino Mohegan Sun will be a hub for electrifying concerts this upcoming summer. Grammy award-winning artist, The Weekend, will be making his way to Mohegan Sun on June 2 as part of his “Starboy Legend of the Fall” world tour. (Wikimedia/Creative Commons)

Although summer is a time of rest and relaxation, it can be easy to fall into a repetitive summer routine. Attending a summer concert can be a great way to have some fun without breaking the bank on an expensive vacation. This summer, Connecticut venues are expected to host some spectacular performances by award-winning and well-known artists. Here is just a snapshot of some shows to look out for in the Connecticut summer concert scene.

Connecticut resort and casino Mohegan Sun will be a hub for electrifying concerts this upcoming summer. Grammy award-winning artist, The Weekend, will be making his way to Mohegan Sun on June 2 as part of his “Starboy Legend of the Fall” world tour. Pop singer songwriter Ed Sheeran will also be preforming at Mohegan Sun this summer after a yearlong hiatus from music. Sheeran will be performing on July 14 and 15.

Foxwoods Resort and Casino will also be hosting several big name musicians this summer in their Grand Theater. Hip hop group Migos will be performing late next month on May 21, following a performance of R&B and Soul legend Mary J. Blige on May 13. “Scars to Your Beautiful” popstar Alessia Cara will also be gracing the Grand Theater later this summer on July 21. One of the perks of seeing a concert at a casino is that there is plenty to do before and after the show, as both Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun host a wide array of restaurants, clubs and bars.

If you are looking for a more intimate and “alternative” concert experience, look no further than New Haven’s College Street Music Hall. The popular alternative band Foster the People will be preforming at the small theater on June 6, and the eccentric Glass Animals will perform on August 2. For those who are lucky enough to finish finals early, the Vermont band Twiddle will be preforming at the College Street Music Hall next Friday, May 5. Just a short walk from the College Street Music Hall is Toads Place, which hosts more indie bands for those looking to discover new artists.

The Xfinity Theater in Hartford Connecticut is a staple in the adolescence of any Nutmegger. This theater is perhaps best known for its large lawn area, where concert attendees can sit or stand on the grass. Rap star Future is one of many amazing artists to grace the Xfinity Theater this summer, and will be performing on May 20. For country fans, Brad Paisley is likely to have a rocking performance in the outdoor theater on August 8. Connecticut native John Mayer will also be performing at the Xfinity Theater in August. On August 28, ring in the new semester with legendary rock group Green Day, who will be coming to the venue as a part of their “Revolution Radio Tour.” The Xfinity Theater will also be hosting the Van’s Warped Tour on July 9, which will feature artists like Falling in Reverse and Never Shout Never.

If you’re looking for an exciting way to break the monotony of summer break, consider putting some time and money aside to treat yourself to a summer concert. Even if your favorite artist isn’t performing this summer, it can be equally exciting to discover new bands. Luckily, Connecticut has some amazing concert venues, so you won’t have to travel far to hear some great music.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.