Point/Counterpoint: What does departing sports editor Dan Madigan like more?

The new sports editor, Tyler Keating and associate sports editor, Chris Hanna dedicate their last point/counterpoint to sports editor Dan Madigan as his reign comes to an end. (Dan Madigan/The Daily Campus)

Sports editor Dan Madigan’s reign comes to an end as he graduates from UConn on May 7.

It’s tradition at the Sports section of The Daily Campus for the departing editor(s) to serve as the subject of an electric point/counterpoint on their final day of print production and Dan is next up. Incoming sports editor Tyler Keating and new associate sports editor Chris Hanna use this question as a vehicle for roasts: what does Dan like more, covering women’s basketball or everything else?

Chris Hanna: It's no question Dan enjoys covering women’s basketball more. He gets free tickets to literally every home game and conference championships and tickets to the Final Four. Plus, 108 times out of 111, the game is over by the first quarter so Dan can just relax for the other three quarters. What's better than this?

Well, I'll tell you what's better. Through women’s basketball, Dan got to know some of the most talented basketball players to come through UConn, including Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck. And let’s not forget numerous press conferences with the legendary Geno Auriemma. Every single one of the coach’s tiny jabs at his players for doing something wrong made for great laughs time and time again. And Dan had to do (almost) no work in the process. The team kept winning to make it easy for him.

Tyler Keating: The joy of taking “everything else” is that I can come at this from a variety of different angles. I have gotten to know Dan pretty well over the last year and like Julie Andrews, I’m here with a few of his favorite things.

Dan likes craft beer more. He went to Dallas for the women’s Final Four this year and I believe he went to multiple breweries. In Dallas! Yeah, he went to Cowboys Stadium, the grassy knoll, In-N-Out, more fun and cool things, but multiple breweries! We’re all college students out here surviving on trash light beers and he’s probably debating the consistency of hops with our other resident craft nerd, Jackson Haigis (love you Jackson). What is a hop? Seriously, what the heck is a hop?

Also, Dan likes the Red Sox more. Did you know that the Red Sox didn’t win a World Series for 86 consecutive years? I didn’t even need to come up with something clever there. And now you’re thinking they’ve won three Series since then. Yes, they have. Darn it. This is harder than I thought, but if three years at the Daily Madigan have taught me anything, it’s how to win point/counterpoints.

(Dan Madigan/The Daily Campus)

Hanna: In his time at UConn, Dan has seen three women’s national championships. Three! Not many people get the opportunity to experience such a feat in just four years. That is far better than what the Red Sox or craft beer have provided him. Or at least I hope so. Let's not forget, Dan grew up a UConn women’s basketball fan and has been alive for each and every single one of their 11 championships, starting in 1995.

Dan of the Daily Madigan is a UConn women’s basketball lifer and will likely continue to be so until he's one of the elderly folk who still buy season tickets for Connecticut’s favorite team. And knowing how much pride Dan has in his wealth of UConn women’s basketball fact, he'll be that guru fan for years to come, well after graduation this May.

Keating: I see your women’s basketball and I raise you men’s basketball. You can list, on one hand, all of the UConn students excited to head to Hartford on a Tuesday night to watch the men play Tulane, and I have one of those people right here. I’m there, too, to cover the game, assuming Dan remembered to put it on the budget.

You know what else Dan really, really loves? Other than fishing, which I’m told by multiple sources he continues to pursue? Posting stories. Nothing beats the thrill of copying and pasting a block of text into a square. Few sensory experiences reach the heights of looking up the football team’s schedule to caption a photo from three months ago. Who could pass up the innate euphoria provided by fixing typos? Dan loves posting stories so much, he moonlighted as a digital producer in his spare time. MIS stands for management information systems, but Dan majored in monotonous Internet stuff.

Hanna: Regardless of what he really likes best—Dan, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. You’ve been a great mentor to me over the last two years, and this year in particular. You made me more confident in my writing and by doing so, you are part of the reason I got so interested in journalism and decided to double major. You have been a fantastic editor for us this year and left the sports section in fantastic shape with so many big ideas, and most importantly you’ve been a good friend. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors after graduation. I’m sure it’ll be electric.

(Dan Madigan/The Daily Campus)

Keating: Dan, you have been an incredible sports editor. Having seen it firsthand for months, I don’t know anyone that works harder than you on a daily basis, and that persistence and effort set a strong example for our section to follow. You provided the section with a never-ending well of neat ideas, supportive leadership and the best damn women’s basketball coverage on the planet.

From the moment I met you covering baseball two years ago, we’ve steadily grown a friendship that I treasure. Thanks for every Sunday night ride, Jim Calhoun fun fact and PFTCommenter tweet in my inbox, and for spending all those scoreless first quarters with me. It’s been, and will continue to be, a lot of fun.

I never thought I’d be the sports editor back then, but I came to know that if I learned under your wing as the associate for a year, I’d be just fine. I hope to match your work, but that’s a tall task for anyone. Good luck out there, Dan; you’ll be great wherever life takes you.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.