Students can donate unwanted items during move out

Students at UConn can donate any unwanted items during move out to local communities in need through the Give and Go program. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut can donate unwanted items during move out to local communities in need through the Give and Go program.

“The program was started to reduce waste and promote sustainability on our campus,” Give and Go Student Program Director and senior Human Development and Family Studies major Rachel DeVylder said. “Another benefit to the program is to connect us with community members surrounding our campus.”

Approximately 14 donation sites will be set up across campus from Wednesday, May 3 through Saturday, May 6. There will also be a site at the Oaks Apartments on Wednesday and Saturday.

“Even if you don't think you're moving out until after the program is over, we encourage you to donate items early that you know you will be getting rid of so they don't go to waste,” DeVylder said.

In order to cope with an increase in non-donatable trash, 20 dumpsters will also be placed at key locations around campus.

“Our custodial and maintenance staff are extremely busy the first few weeks in May keeping up with items that are discarded by students in the residence halls,” Assistant Director of Building Services Aris Risau said.

The Give and Go program was started at UConn in 2009 by Community Outreach.

“The development and maturing of the Give and Go program has definitely helped reduce the amount of items left behind,” Ristau said.

Items donated to Give and Go are given to over a dozen local organizations based on their specific needs.  

“Some agencies we work with include local soup kitchens, animal shelters and the Salvation Army,” DeVylder said. “They all receive different donations based off their needs and what they requested.”

Risau said he has seen a wide array of items discarded over the years.

“Everything from electronics to clothes to furniture, we’ve seen it all,” Risau said.

Many items that students usually discard can be donated instead.

“Students donate non-perishable food, cleaning supplies and rugs or furniture items that are in good shape and can be used by program partners,” DeVylder said. “Clothing and shoes in good condition are also heavily-donated items.”

Risau encourages students to do anything they can to help the cleanup following move out go more smoothly.

“Anything that students can do to support the cleanup efforts is greatly appreciated,” Risau said. “Any little bit helps our Building Services team.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.