“Attack On Titan” resurrects itself with long-awaited season 2

"Attack on Titan" finally recieved a second seasons after four long years.  The first season can be found on Netflix, but season 2 can only be found on certian platforms like Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu.  (Facebook/Attack on Titan)

As if 2017 couldn’t be any better than 2016, “Attack on Titan,” the hit anime from 2013, has finally received a second season after four long years. The season was actually set for release some time last year but delays pushed it to April 2017. The entire first season can be found on Netflix but season 2 can only be streamed on certain platforms, Netflix not being one of them. Either way, we should all be glad it’s here.

“Attack on Titan” is based on the 2009 manga series of the same name. It takes place in a world in which humanity now has holed itself up in a three-layer walled enclosure for protection against the Titans. Titans are large, humanoid creatures that feast on humans and, before the beginning of the show, randomly appeared one day and wiped out most of the human race. Now, everyone lives in peace behind the walls.

Then, in pure television show fashion, something bad happens. A colossal Titan, bigger than any of the walls, appears suddenly and destroys the outer wall, letting Titans insides. Chaos ensues, and the show begins here.

Eren Jaeger is the main character and in the first episode he witnesses his own mother get eaten by a Titan. From that day on, Eren pledges to rid the world of Titans. With the support of his best friends Mikasa Ackerman and Armin Arlert, he joins the military in hopes of fighting the Titans to his last breath.

There is something so captivating about the show. It’s extremely grotesque, as action anime usually turn out to be, but the gore is handled in a way that makes the entire premise so much better. There’s no doubt you’ll also get attached to the characters, but you can’t stay attached for too long because the show is notorious for killing off people you thought would be safe.

And so we ride right into season 2, which is finally making its debut after a four-year-long hiatus. The first season contained a whopping 25 episodes at about 25 minutes each. The second season only has about half that, at 12 episodes at the same runtime, so binging the series will only take about five hours rather than the usual ten, which is great considering the host of other shows being released this year.

How to watch this new season if it’s not on Netflix? The show has been released on the following platforms: Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu (for those in Australia and New Zealand, Anime Lab). All of these streaming platforms are paid services, so those without subscriptions are going to have a harder time trying to find the episodes. But they’re out there—you just have to keep looking. The best we can do right now, though, is to pray that God answers our prayers and lets the season be released on Netflix soon.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.