After postponements, softball hopes to play at home against Hofstra

On Friday, the Huskies took on East Carolina at Burrill Family Field. East Carolina opened up strong and ended up beating out the Huskies 2-0. (tyler Benton/The Daily Campus) 

After yet another postponement Tuesday against UMass-Lowell, UConn softball may finally play a home game this season against Hofstra, scheduled for Wednesday. Weather and field conditions have plagued the team thus far, registering only two games as the home team. These games, however, were played at the field of Eastern Connecticut as Burrill Family Field was not prepared to play a game.

That all changes tomorrow as weather and field conditions are expected to line up perfectly for the Huskies, who are 12-15 on the season. They’ll take on the 11-14 Pride in a double-header.

The Huskies are coming off a series split this past Sunday against USF, in which they produced just one run off the bat of Valerie Sadowl. Jill Stockley started game one of the double-header and struggled, giving up four runs in just 1.2 innings. Chelsea Eckert entered the game in relief and managed to get out of a bases loaded jam, but ultimately sacrificed five runs in her 3.2 innings of work. The game ended in the sixth with a 9-0 shutout by the Bulls.

Pitching was not a problem in game two as team ERA leader Katie Koshes pitched a complete game shutout, sacrificing only two hits and one walk while recording 13 strikeouts.  UConn’s 1-0 victory came from Sadowl’s solo homerun.

Across the diamond, Hofstra is also coming off of a double-header split against Towson. Game one ended in a 6-5 victory. Hofstra’s Sarah Cornell took the win I a complete game effort, giving up five runs on eight hits. She walked two and struck out five. Errors plagued Towson and Hofstra took advantage, scoring their first two runs unearned.

Hofstra’s Jessica Peslak started things off in game two, giving up three runs on eight hits in her four innings of work. Alyssa Irons came in in relief, giving up no runs in three innings while striking out four in a 3-1 loss.

Hofstra only has three pitchers on the roster, so the Huskies can expect to face all of them on Wednesday. On the offensive side, keep an eye out for Lacey Clark and Brielle Pietrafesa. Clark is hitting .338 with 14 RBI on the season, while Pietrafesa is hitting .288 with 12 RBI and a team-leading four homeruns.

The first game of the double header is set to start at 2 p.m. at Burrill Family Field, followed shortly after by game two.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.