UConn women's lacrosse travels to Nashville to play Vanderbilt

The women's lacrosse team loses to the Georgetown Hoyas 14-6 on March 25, 2017 bringing their record to 3-6. Their next game is away against Denver. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse travels to Nashville, Tennessee to play their fourth Big East Conference game against Vanderbilt in search of their first Big East victory of the season.

UConn dropped to 0-3 in the conference and 3-7 overall with a loss to No. 14 Denver April 2 in Denver, Colorado. The Huskies trailed 9-4 at halftime with goals coming from Cait Leary, Kelsey Catalano and Grace Nolan. Nolan added two more goals in the second half and senior Jacqueline Jordan also tallied a hat trick.

Denver would score four straight goals to open the second half to increase the score to 13-4. UConn would finally push back and go one a five goal run to cut the Pioneer lead to four with 10 minutes to play.

Seniors Ally Tilley and Maggie Tripodi would add four points in the second half. Sophomore Lexi Kenneally tallied a goal and assist in the effort.

Freshman Grace Beshlian tied a program record with 20 saves in the 16-11 loss.

Vanderbilt currently is in fourth place in the Big East conference standings with an overall record of 5-4 and a 2-1 record in conference play. The Commodores most recently played No. 3 Florida in Gainesville, Florida April 1. Vanderbilt wouldn’t score a goal in the first half as the Gators led 12-0, but would later score six goals in the second before falling to Florida 16-6.

Vanderbilt’s offense is led by multiple players. Junior Kayla Peterson leads the team in goals with 24 and senior Jill Doherty leads the team in points with 17 goals and 18 assists tallied. Sophomores Julie Blaze and Melanie Becker add a combined 32 goals to the offense.

The Commodores rotate all three goalies. Senior Callahan Kent sees the most time starting seven games and has a save percentage of 0.449. Redshirt freshman Lily Argyle has played in six games saving 38.2 percent of shots she’s faced. Freshman Madison Foglio had a team high four saves in the Commodores last game against Florida.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.