When will the Huskies play at home? Baseball sees slew of home games cancelled

UConn Baseball beats Houston with the final score of 3-2. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn baseball team will look to finally play its 2017 home opener when they host Hartford Wednesday at 3 p.m.

The Huskies (16-9, 3-0 American) have had home games against Seton Hall, Boston College and Northeastern cancelled this season. The Seton Hall series was instead played in New Jersey and the matchup against Northeastern was moved to Monday, May 15. There has been no word on whether the game against the Eagles will be rescheduled.

This season’s home opener will be the latest the Huskies have opened a season at home since the 1994 season, when they opened on the same date – April 5.

The Huskies are currently one of 19 teams that have yet to play a home game this season in the Division I ranks, but they have not let it disrupt their play. Despite playing away from J.O. Christian Field all season, the Huskies have still had success, leading the country with 16 road/neutral site wins this season. Last season, UConn won 23 road or neutral site games.

Hartford (6-14, 1-2 America East) has struggled so far this season after going 37-18 last season, but have brought it together in their last 10 games, going 5-5 after a six game losing streak earlier this season.

Catcher Erik Ostberg leads the Hawks in almost every offensive category including walks (18), batting average (.485) and home runs (5). Ashton Bardzell has also been a bright spot for Hartford. The outfielder is enjoying a breakout sophomore season hitting .405 from the plate, significantly improving his .268 average last season. Bardzell has also nearly eclipsed his home run total from last season (5) from last year with four so far,  with more than half the season still to play.

Last season the Hawks won the in-state dual 4-3. Former Huskies Bryan Daniello and Joe DeRoche-Duffin homered for Connecticut on that day last year. Current UConn third baseman Willy Yahn had two hits in the loss.

UConn historically has dominated the series going 36-15 all-time against the Hawks in a rivalry dating back to 1985.

This weekend the Huskies will continue American Athletic Conference play when they welcome the Memphis Tigers to Storrs for a three-game series this weekend.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.