For students, from students: New service HelpHub tutoring comes to campus

The UConn Q center locates at the Level 1 of Homer Babbidge library. Students always come here to seek academic help from peers. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

HelpHub, a program designed to connect students with student tutors, is available to University of Connecticut students, connecting them with immediate tutoring from other UConn students.

“HelpHub is an online platform connecting students and tutors via instant messaging, video, and phone calls. As an open marketplace, tutors and students can negotiate prices and work on their own terms and hours,” HelpHub founder and CEO Miguel Kudry, said.

The service currently has a presence at over 1,500 schools—including UConn—and students can search for school-specific subjects when looking for help with any particular course.

HelpHub is designed so that each college has its own program. Currently 16 UConn students are registered as tutors on HelpHub, and there may be more who are registered to hire tutors, Kudry said.

“Getting help from someone at their school gives students an insider’s point of view on the courses they are taking and what is happening on campus,” Kudry said. “Students who get help from people at their school build long-term relationships that last the entire semester and school year after school year.”

Students and tutors can communicate and get paid all through the HelpHub platform, Kudry said.

“Students at UConn are currently helping other students at UConn, and in doing so are building a marketplace where students can get help and/or make an income,” Kudry said. “This is a great resource, both for students who need immediate access to help, and for people who want to become tutors.”

UConn students said that, though they were not aware of this program, it is something that they would use in the future.

“I think this definitely seems like a good way to connect students and tutors across campus. I especially like the fact that it benefits everyone- both the students who are receiving help and the students who are getting paid to give it,” second-semester environmental studies major Haley Sharlow said.

“I would love to be one of the tutors because I already enjoy teaching people things and it would definitely be an easy way to earn money, which I’m desperately in need of,” second-semester speech language and hearing sciences and music dual degree student Maria Murljacic said.

Kudry said that he began the company in 2013 out of his own need; he found that his school’s system of requiring that students set up tutoring appointments 24-48 hours in advance was not conducive to studying in college, because often times students need help right away or at times during the day that tutors may not be working.

“I ended up realizing that a lot of students needed the same immediate access to help that I needed,” Kudry said.

HelpHub is a convenient service because it enables students to get help from online tutors on what they truly need, whether it be a single question that takes 10 minutes to cover, an hour-long session, or ongoing tutoring sessions with any tutor, Kudry said.

“Students can find help with courses they are currently taking from students who have taken them in the past, without needed to go through traditional options which are usually a lot more expensive and less convenient,” Kudry said.

Students can dedicate as much or as little time as they want to the tutoring service, and they can become tutors even if they’ve never tutored before, Kudry said.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.