Softball: Koshes continues dominance, Huskies split doubleheader against Hofstra

UConn's Katie Koshes, number 22, pitches during the Huskies game against Hofstra on Wednesday April 5.  (Sarina Garcia/ The Daily Campus)

Two days after being named the American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week, freshman standout Katie Koshes continued her stretch of dominance against Hofstra on Wednesday.

After yet another weather-related schedule change, the Huskies (13-16) won one and lost one in a doubleheader on Wednesday against Hofstra (12-15). The games, which were originally scheduled to be played in Storrs, were moved to Eastern Connecticut State University’s field after the Burrill Family Field was deemed unplayable.

In the first game of the day, Koshes was phenomenal, leading UConn to a 4-1 victory. She recorded a complete game, her fifth of the season, giving up only one run on three hits over seven innings, striking out seven. It was Koshes’ sixth team-leading win of the year. She was also helped by some terrific defense, as center fielder Taylor Townsend threw a runner out at home in the second inning.

The offense was propelled by home runs from senior third baseman Valerie Sadowl and freshman DH Devon Casazza. Second baseman Kiwi McDaniel also recorded her ninth RBI of the season to get the Huskies on the board in the second inning.

UConn's Valerie Sadowl, number 17, helped propell the Huskies' offense against Hofstra.  (Sarina Garcia/ The Daily Campus)

The second game of the day was a much different story for the Huskies. They allowed ten runs, eight of which in one inning, falling 10-2 in five innings.

After Hofstra jumped out to a 2-0 lead, freshman Carli Cutler, who started the game at pitcher, lined a two-run double to tie the game in the bottom of the third. Cutler finished the game with two hits and was pitching well until a disastrous fifth inning.

Hofstra’s Brielle Pietrafesa began the inning with a leadoff home run to give the Pride a 3-2 lead. Cutler then surrendered three singles in a row to load the bases before she was replaced by senior Kayla Doty. Hofstra proceeded to break the game open, chasing Doty after plating four runs (three of which attributed to Cutler), and tacking on three more against UConn’s Chelsea Eckert.

By the time the inning was over, Hofstra had knocked home eight runs on seven hits to take a 10-2 lead. The Huskies were unable to answer in the bottom half of the inning, and the game ended by mercy rule.

Overall, Wednesday’s doubleheader was defined by UConn’s pitching: a meltdown in game two, another superb showing from Koshes, who continues to prove that she is the ace of the Huskies’ rotation.

UConn returns to conference play on Friday night, beginning a three-game series against second-place Houston down in Texas, where rain will hopefully not be a factor.

Andrew Morrison is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24