UConn women’s lacrosse continues losing streak

The Women's Lacrosse team loses to the Georgetown Hoyas 14-6 on March 25, 2017 bringing their record to 3-6. Their next game is away against Denver. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (3-8, 0-4 Big East) is still seeking their first Big East Conference win after a 16-8 loss to Vanderbilt (6-4, 3-1 Big East).

The beginning of the first half looked promising for UConn, despite the Commodores taking the first lead of the game less than three minutes into the match. UConn’s junior midfielder Kelsey Catalano tied the game up at 1-1 five minutes in and junior attacker Grace Nolan gave the Huskies a 2-1 lead with more than 20 minutes left in the half.

After UConn’s small run, Vanderbilt went on a run of their own. They were up 5-2 when Nolan ended UConn’s drought by scoring her second of the day with under 10 minutes to go in the first. Senior attacker Jacqueline Jordan added to UConn’s total with a goal off of a free position.

After another Vanderbilt goal, UConn’s Molly O’Reilly scored with under five minutes to play in the first half. The Huskies went into halftime down 7-5 after another goal by the Commodores.

In the second half, UConn was unable to keep up with Vanderbilt.

At the start of the second half two back-to-back Vanderbilt goals put the Commodores ahead 9-5. Jordan put the Huskies on the board with a goal almost four minutes into the second half.

UConn got within two points with a hat trick for Nolan about seven minutes into the second half. After that, the Commodores took advantage of a 16 minute scoring drought for UConn and scored four unanswered goals, bringing the score to 13-7 with under seven minutes to play.

With less than five minutes to play, UConn’s Jordan was able to end the long drought with a hat trick of her own. It would be UConn’s last goal for the day.

Vanderbilt went on to score three more before the end of the game.

Senior attacker Jill Doherty led the way for the Commodores with four goals and two assists in the game.

UConn plays next at home on Saturday versus Butler at 1 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.