Weather cancels Lil Uzi Vert flight, SUBOG Spring Concert

Gampel Pavilion stands empty after SUBOG's Spring Concert is canceled on Thursday, April 6, 2017 after Lil Uzi Vert's flight is delayed due to inclement weather. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s annual Spring Concert was cancelled after headliner Lil Uzi Vert’s flight was delayed due to weather conditions, said SUBOG in an emailed statement.

Lil Uzi tweeted an apology to UConn at 8:24 p.m.

The doors to Gampel Pavilion were supposed to open at 7 p.m. but ticket holders were barred from entering the venue without explanation.

I’m really mad. First the (UConn’s women basketball team) losing and now this show being cancelled, I have nothing to look forward to.
— Second-semester physiology and neurobiology major Brianna Sullivan

The announcement first appeared on SUBOG’s Instagram and Twitter profiles around 7:18 p.m. stating the concert was cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances beyond UConn’s control.”

Students were frustrated and chanted “Bullsh*t!” in unison in response to the announcement.

Student's wait in the rain in front of Gampel Pavilion prior to hearing that Lil Uzi would not be coming for the Spring Concert. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Elise Desimone, an eighth-semester psychology major, stood in line to enter the venue for 45 minutes before leaving.

“I think it was a really unfortunate situation, and SUBOG tried to handle it the best they could,” said Desimone. “The only thing I would change was (not) having students wait in the cold rain.”

“Lil Uzi Vert’s flight had been cancelled due to inclement weather,” said SUBOG President Marissa Carbone. “He attempted to board a later flight but unfortunately that was cancelled as well.”

Carbone said the opening act Amine will not be performing either, however gave no details as to his whereabouts, and the rapper has not made public comment on social media.

“I’m really mad,” said second-semester physiology and neurobiology major Brianna Sullivan. “First the (UConn’s women basketball team) losing and now this show being cancelled, I have nothing to look forward to.”

Students disperse from the North Entrance of Gampel Pavilion after being told that the Spring Concert is canceled on Thursday evening. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Second-semester bio-medical engineering major Ricky Gupta Jr. said he was disappointed with Vert’s cancellation and lost respect for the artist.

Gupta and Sullivan each paid $30 for floor seats. SUBOG said in their initial tweet guests would be provided refunds and said refunding information for ticket holders will be available on their website, subog.uconn.edu, according to their email.

“These circumstances were beyond his control and ours, but we recognize that doesn’t make them any less frustrating.”

Neel Razdan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at neel.razdan@uconn.edu.

Life Editor Angie DeRosa, Associate Life Editor Francesca Colturi and Senior Staff Photographer Amar Batra contributed reporting.