Lazy Boy on Campus: Life hacks to make life a little lazier

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

Students study in the Beanery on campus, which is located in the Benton Museum. The Lazy Boy author suggests studying in the Beanery instead of the library for a change of scenery. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Coming to you guys from a different day this week—apologies to all five readers of this column who it will affect. Last week, we talked a playlist for working your way through a lazy day. An official soundtrack for the lazy person on campus so to speak. Now, I’m going to give you something else. Something that I promised I would try my best to avoid when I wrote my first column. That’s right I’m going to give you guys some life hacks, I’m going to be like BuzzFeed and publish a list of things that I use to make my life a bit easier and a bit lazier. Luckily, these hacks don’t take too much effort out of your day and definitely don’t take up too much time.

Before we get into these hacks, I want to remind you guys why I write this column, especially because it’s been so long since I actually talked about it. Being lazy is not about skipping out on everything in life and taking the easy way out. For me, being lazy is a break from all of the crazy that all of us have to deal with every day. It’s a chance to sit back and observe the world around you without getting caught up in all of the drama.

1. Powernaps: I wrote about making sure that you get enough sleep every single day. Sleep is super important to everything that we do. I personally say “sleep is for the weak” a lot of the time, however, sleep is arguably the best part of the day. It allows us to refresh and not think about any of our troubles, at least for a little while. Unfortunately, I know that most of us don’t ever have time for a full night’s sleep, which is why I’m going to advocate for the 30-minute power nap. As someone who has taken lots of them at varying lengths, I can honestly say that 30 minutes is the perfect amount of time for your body to refresh without you falling into a deep slumber.

2. Skip the bus: This one might come off as kind of hypocritical of me, especially after I wrote a column about how waiting for the bus allows you to take in the world. In this case, however, I’m actually going to advocate skipping the bus. The weather is actually getting nice. Walking back from class instead of taking the bus is a perfect way to unwind after a long day. Throw on the gnarly playlist that I put together and it creates the perfect break from a shitty day.

3. Avoid doing work in the library: This one is a little weird because I normally don’t talk about working in this column. I personally am not a huge fan of working in the library and I know that it works for some people, but just hear me out. The library is a place for people cramming for exams and freaking out, and there is a time for that. However, when you just have some work to do, then there are more relaxing places to actually do some work. I highly recommend the Benton or the fourth floor of Monteith. The Benton has super comfy couches and Monteith has great views of Mirror Lake. Both areas a super relaxing.

This list is probably a bit shorter than what you expected, but honestly, these three things are the easy things to do. There isn’t much you actually have to do to achieve them and they are all super relaxing, even the studying one. And I promise they will actually make life a little bit better, unlike most of those crazy BuzzFeed listicles.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.