Men’s Hockey: Season in review, by the numbers

UConn men's hockey beats UNH at the XL center at Feb 25th at XL center with a final score of 4-2. (Zhelun Lang/ The Daily Campus)

It was a long season for the UConn men’s hockey team, capped off with a season-ending sweep at the hands of the Northeastern Huskies. We’ll run through UConn’s season by the numbers.

12 - Number of games the UConn men’s hockey team won this year. The Huskies went 12-16-8, with at least one win against Alabama-Huntsville, Notre Dame, Boston University, UMass Lowell, UMass Amherst, St. Cloud State, Brown, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire.

20 – Number of points the Huskies finished with in the Hockey East conference. Their 8-10-4 record was the best UConn has ever finished with since they moved into the best hockey conference in the country back in 2014 from the Atlantic Hockey Conference. Twenty points was good enough for ninth place in the standings, which put the Huskies right out of home-ice advantage. A late season skid cost the Huskies, and Northeastern’s home ice was not friendly to UConn.

32 – Tage Thompson ended with 32 points this season, including 19 goals and 13 assists. Maxim Letunov pulls up the rear in second place with 27 points, 20 assists and 7 goals. The 20 assists led the Huskies along with Thompson’s 19 goals. Thompson decided to forego his last two years of NCAA eligibility to sign an NHL contract with the St. Louis Blues.

.928 – Save percentage of freshman goaltender Adam Huska in Hockey East conference games this year, good for a first-place tie with Merrimack goaltender Collin Delia. He also boasted a 2.40 goals-against average, good for fifth place in the conference.

In terms of team rankings, the Huskies ranked 10th out of 12 teams in the conference in terms of scoring offense. UConn played 36 games this season, scoring 96 goals for a 2.67 goals-per-game average. Northeastern lead the league in offense with 140 goals in 38 games.

The defensive side of things went a little better for UConn. The Huskies let up 104 goals in 36 games for 2.89 goals-per-game average. Notre Dame let up 87 goals in 39 games for a league-leading 2.23 goals-per-game average.

Overall for the Huskies, the season started off well, including a trip out to Prescott Valley, Arizona. They won the Desert Hockey Classic with wins over St. Cloud State (4-3) and Brown (4-1). The second half didn’t go as well as hoped for the team, at one point they dropped seven out of 10 games, tying two others, for a 1-2-7 slide.  The poor second-half performance would drop the Huskies out of contention for home-ice and UConn ultimately dropped both games in the opening round of the Hockey East playoffs, 3-1 and 6-2.

Connor Donahue is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s ice hockey. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.