Nurse named one of Glamour’s College Women of the Year

The UConn women's basketball team defeated USF 100-44 in the American Athletic Conference title game on Monday, March 6th, 2017 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville. The Huskies were led by Katie Lou Samuelson, who scored 40 points on 10-for-10 shooting.(Jackson Haigis/ The Daily Campus)

While the Huskies season is over, the accolades still keep piling on for the Huskies as junior guard Kia Nurse was named one of Glamour Magazine’s College Women of the Year.

Nurse was one of 10 young women to receive this honor, which featured professions such as journalists, filmmakers and activists. Nurse was the only student-athlete among the honorees.

“I want young female athletes to defy the odds,” Nurse said in the press release.

The award is a nice touch for her off the court after an impressive season on the hardwood. Nurse was crucial in leading the Huskies to their 10th-straight Final Four, hitting an NCAA tournament-record 22 3-pointers in the NCAA tournament, breaking the record in UConn’s 66-64 loss to Mississippi State.

The Hamilton, Ontario native averaged 12.9 points and nearly four assists per game while shooting 46.7 percent from the 3-point line this season. Nurse was named to the American Athletic Conference Second Team and a 2016-17 CoSIDA Academic All-American in her third season in Storrs.

Nurse, Chilemba and the other eight honorees will be honored at a luncheon presented by L’Oreal Paris in New York City on April 25 and will be featured in the May issue of Glamour, which hits newsstands April 11.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.