Softball: UConn swept by Houston in weekend series

The Huskies were swept by the University of Houston in a three game series this weekend in Texas. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball headed to Texas this weekend to play a three-game series against the University of Houston Cougars, but failed to stop the impressive Houston offense as they were swept and outscored 34-4 on the weekend.

Game one was a 6-0 loss to Houston. Katie Koshes got the start for UConn and struck out seven in five innings to improve her team-best 94 strikeouts on the season. She went up against Houston’s Savannah Heebner, who would earn the victory in a complete game, two-hit effort.

The first run came in the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly. Then in the fifth, two errors by the Huskies contributed to a three-run inning. Chelsea Eckert replaced Koshes and gave up two runs in the sixth. This score would go final as Houston took the first game.

Game two saw the Huskies generate some offense as they lost 6-4. Jill Stockley was in the circle for UConn. The game stayed scoreless for four innings, but the Cougars scored two in the fifth on a throwing error by Taylor Townsend.

Two solo homeruns in the sixth off the bats of Ally Hernandez and Carli Cutler evened the score. Then in the bottom of the inning, Houston scored four more runs with two outs. UConn had a two-out rally in the seventh, scoring three with hits from Chloe Kerns, Emma Stanley and Ryne Nakama. A Houston error plated Stanley for the fourth run, but the 6-4 would go final, giving Houston the series win.

Trying to avoid the sweep, the Huskies started Koshes again on Sunday.  After moving through their entire pitching staff, UConn would ultimately fall to Houston 22-0 in just four and a half innings of play. Koshes did not make it out of the first inning, surrendering four runs on four hits, including a three-run homerun by Heebner. Stockley came in for Koshes and got out of the inning without surrendering another run.

After allowing runners on first and third, Stockley was replaced in the second by Cutler. A single, an error and a walk prefaced Heebner’s grand slam, as Houston scored six in the inning. In the third, Cutler gave up a two-run homer before being replaced by Eckert. Three hits, a walk and a passed ball totaled three runs for Houston, and Kayla Doty came in to replace Eckert. She gave up three walks and two hits, totaling five runs before getting out of the third.  It was a ten-run inning for the Cougars.

Koshes came back in to pitch in the fourth. She gave up a walk and a home run off the first two batters she faced, but two foul-outs and a strikeout ended the inning. UConn came up to bat in the fifth and Valerie Sadowl started it off with a single. However, the next three batters went down in order and the game concluded with a 22-0 deficit.

The Huskies will finally play at home on Tuesday for a game against Boston College before hitting the road to face East Carolina next weekend.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.