Women's Lacrosse: Teamwork lifts Huskies over Butler in breast cancer awareness game

The Women's Lacrosse team lost to the Georgetown Hoyas 14-6 on March 25, 2017 bringing their record to 3-6. Their next game is away against Denver. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (4-8, 1-4 Big East) defeated the Butler Bulldogs (1-12, 0-5 Big East) in an overwhelming team victory during their breast cancer awareness game.

“I think today, I think it was a really all around strong game,” UConn Head Coach Katie Woods said. “I think we had contributions from everyone which was really fun to see and because of that I think everyone was really locked into it right until the end, which was good.”

Most of the season, junior attacker Grace Nolan and senior attacker Jacqueline Jordan have done the bulk of the points scoring for the Huskies. Nolan has 50 points off of 31 goals and 19 assists so far this season. Jordan has 33 points off of 25 goals and eight assists.

However, this game showcased that when the team works together, great things can happen. Nine different Huskies tallied one goal including sophomore midfielder Dani Dunn and freshman midfielder Francesca Messura, who both scored their first career goals in the match. Senior attacker Maggie Tripodi also added four points, with a goal and three assists.

I think we had contributions from everyone which was really fun to see and because of that I think everyone was really locked into it right until the end, which was good.
— Katie Woods

UConn dominated Butler 42-14 in overall shots and had 13 goals in the first half alone.

Even with all the teamwork, Nolan had far from a quiet game. She had six points off of four goals and two assists. She also eclipsed the 100-career goal milestone and now has 101 career goals.

For the breast cancer awareness game most of the Huskies wore some sort of pink on the field. Fans were also given pink pom-poms. During halftime members of UConn Health were honored on the field.

Woods said that having a breast cancer awareness game is extremely important for her team.

“Everyone on the team knows someone that has dealt with it or has survived it,” Woods said. “We actually have players, their family members, moms, are dealing with it or passed away from it. So it does become a really important piece for us to honor and do every year.”

UConn will look to bring their team mentality to their next game on Wednesday against Marquette. The game will begin at 12 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.