Women's Lacrosse: UConn finally gets first Big East win dominating Butler Saturday

The Women's Lacrosse team dropped a game to the Georgetown Hoyas 14-6 on March 25, 2017, bringing their record to 3-6. Their next game is away against Denver. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team dominated first-year program Butler with a score of 17-4 on Saturday at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

The Huskies move to a record of 4-8 with the win, while Butler drops to 1-12.

UConn got off to a hot start with a goal from senior Sarah Smith only 31 seconds into the game. The Huskies led 13-2 at halftime.

Junior Grace Nolan led the team with four goals and two assists. Nolan has now surpassed 100 career goals.

Freshman Olivia Miles and senior Ally Tilley each tallied two goals in the shootout. Everyone else got in the action as well, with nine other Huskies tallying a goal. Sophomore Dani Dunn and freshman Francesca Messura scored their first career goals in the win.

"I think it was a really all-around strong team game. I think we had contributions from everyone which was really fun to see, and because of that I think everyone was really locked into it right until the end, which was good,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said after the game.

Freshman goalie Grace Beshlian had yet another solid performance, tallying eight saves.

Butler would open the second half with a goal from Journey Fischbeck less than a minute in. The Bulldogs would score one more in the second half, but would spend most of the game playing defense.

Butler is still looking for their first Big East victory and only tallied four goals in the loss. Sydney Pattison and Journey Fischbeck led the way with a goal and an assist each. Madison Christian and Taylor Kinn also added a goal. Freshman goalie Haley Rayburn tallied nine saves in the loss.

"Well, I think after any win you want to carry that momentum. We've had a tough stretch here so I think it was really good for the team to kind of be able to come out with a different team, a different game plan, a different mentality, and I think we were able to do that today. [Marquette] is a tough opponent,” Woods said.

UConn will host conference foe Marquette on Wednesday, April 12 at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.