UConn budget hit in latest state rescissions

UConn Health will take $1 million in cuts, and UConn's operating budget will take about $2 million in cuts in the latest string of rescissions ordered by Gov. Malloy. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

A glut of rescissions set forth by Gov. Dannel P. Malloy Wednesday included a over $3 million in hits to the University of Connecticut, including $2 million to the university's operating budget and $1 million to UConn Health’s budget. The rescissions mean that UConn will be required to pay back a certain amount of money originally allocated by the state.

Malloy sent a letter on May 10 to legislative leaders detailing the rescissions being made. The rescissions are part of an effort to cover the $389.8 million in the Connecticut State Budget, according to the letter.

“Given recent revenue projections showing the state at a potential shortfall, I find it necessary to take aggressive steps to ensure this year’s budget ends in balance,” Malloy said. “My overriding goal is to solve this fiscal year’s potential shortfall without engaging in deficit borrowing.”

Other programs affected by the rescission include the Connecticut State Department of Education, the Office of Higher Education and other public colleges such as Central Connecticut State University.

How UConn will be affected by the rescission remains in research.

This story will be updated as further information is released.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.