Quick Hits: Baseball picks up big series win, softball season ends

Houston Astros' George Springer applauds after scoring a run on a hit by Carlos Correa during the third inning of a baseball game against the New York Yankees, Sunday, May 14, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Spring continues to roll on, and so do UConn athletics. Let’s take a look at some of the notable stories from the past week in UConn sports news, including a crucial series victory for the baseball team, and the end of the season for the softball team.

Baseball hangs tight in pennant race with series win over USF

The UConn baseball team hosted USF, an American Athletic Conference titan that came to Storrs with a 38-10 record, and came away with a crucial series win this past weekend.

The Huskies topped the Bulls in both halves of a doubleheader Friday. UConn received great outings from starting pitchers Tim Cate and Mason Feole Friday, pulling out a 2-1 win in 10 innings in game one before sweeping the set with a 6-2 win in game two.

The Bulls responded by blanking UConn 2-0 on Saturday, but the Huskies claimed the series and sit just one game behind USF in the conference standings entering Monday’s action. USF, UCF and Houston are all tied with a 13-8 conference mark.

Softball season ends with conference tournament loss

The UConn softball team saw their season end Wednesday afternoon, as they were eliminated from the American Athletic Conference Tournament by Houston in a 7-0 loss.

UConn finished the season 17-31, with a 3-14 record in conference play.

Saniya Chong makes WNBA debut

While the WNBA picked UConn players with the first three picks in the 2016 draft, the 2017 class from Geno Auriemma’s program is much different. Only one player was drafted in April – senior Saniya Chong, who was taken by the Dallas Wings with the second pick of the third round.

Chong made her regular season debut Sunday and struggled immensely, turning the ball over three times and recording no other statistical contributions in 12 minutes. Dallas beat Phoenix, 68-58.

UConn grads enjoy weekend of raking in MLB

While UConn baseball had a good weekend in Storrs, its former players were having similar success in the majors.

Houston Astros slugger George Springer homered twice to beat the Yankees Sunday on Derek Jeter Day in New York, while the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Nick Ahmed mashed two long balls against Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Men’s Basketball lands Isaiah Whaley, program notches another perfect APR

The UConn men’s basketball team continues to fill out its 2017-18 roster after a trio of transfers, landing class of 2017 product Isaiah Whaley Thursday. Whaley, a 6-foot-8, 200-pound forward from Baltimore, will join fellow newcomers Eric Cobb, Antwoine Anderson, Josh Carlton and Tyler Polley.

Also in program news, UConn scored a perfect 1,000 APR (Academic Progress Rating) for the third time in four years, the NCAA released in a report Wednesday.

Women's basketball star Diana Taurasi marries ex-Phoenix Mercury teammate Penny Taylor

Former Husky Diana Taurasi married her ex-WNBA teammate Penny Taylor on Saturday. Taurasi, 34, is one of the most decorated players in UConn women's basketball history, leading the Huskies to three consecutive national championships from 2002-2004. 

Taurasi played in the Mercury's regular season opener less than 24 hours later, but struggled shooting 1-11 in a 68-58 loss to the Dallas Wings. 

Taylor, 36, retired from her 13-year basketball career after the conclusion of last season and will now serve as the Mercury's director of player personnel after 10 years playing in Phoenix.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.

Chris Hanna contributed to this story.