Student activist arrested on vandalism charges

Eric Cruz-Lopez was arrested on May 7th on over 100 accounts of vandalism, with many of the cases including anti-Trump graffiti in the Homer Babbidge Library, the Student Union, the Northwest Dining Hall and other locations around UConn, according to the arrest warrant from the UConn Police Department.(Courtesy/UCPD)

Former University of Connecticut student and activist Eric Cruz-Lopez was arrested on May 7 on over 100 accounts of vandalism, with many of the cases including anti-Trump graffiti in the Homer Babbidge Library, the Student Union, the Northwest Dining Hall and other locations around UConn, according to the arrest warrant from the UConn Police Department.

The words ‘Pest’ and ‘Fuck Trump’ were written on several surfaces throughout UConn throughout December 2016 and March 2017, and cost the university $4,255 to remove, according to the police. Police used security cameras and Cruz-Lopez’s Husky One card swiping history to identify him as the perpetrator, according to the arrest warrant.

Cruz-Lopez spoke to the police about the vandalism earlier in February, according to the warrant, and stated that the graffiti was politically motivated, and that the word ‘Pest’ was used as a signature to the graffiti. Cruz-Lopez also stated that “I did the graffiti. I am open to entering into a conversation about the restitution,” according to the warrant.

Cruz-Lopez was arrested on May 7 on the charges of criminal mischief, and released without posting bail, according to the police.

Eric Cruz-Lopez gives his demands for undocumented students rights in front the Wilbur Cross Building on Wednesday Nov. 9, 2016 at the “Rally for the People,” which he organized following the election results. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Cruz-Lopez is a community organizer for the organization CT Students for a Dream, and has appeared at events supporting undocumented students in the past. Cruz-Lopez has been arrested previously in February 2016, after protesting in front of the White House for immigrant rights.

Cruz-Lopez is due to appear at the Supreme Court in Rockville on May 14, according to the Hartford Courant.

Cruz-Lopez declined to comment at the time of publication.

This story will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.