2017 brings highest amount of degrees conferred in UConn history

(Graph via Marlese Lessing)

During the 14 commencement ceremonies this weekend and one ceremony occurring later this month, over 9,000 degrees will be awarded to University of Connecticut graduates, the highest amount in UConn history.

Of the 6,089 graduating undergraduates—nearly 79 percent, a total of 4,808—are Connecticut natives. 1,109 students hail from other states, while 172 are from other nations around the world, according to data provided by UConn’s Office of the Registrar.

Of the 172 international undergraduate graduates, 82 are from China, 30 from India and 11 are from Canada. The other 49 come from a variety of countries including Russia, Turkey, Malaysia, Germany and Barbados. Data involving ethnic or racial diversity of domestic students was unavailable.

53 percent of the undergraduate class is female, while 47 percent is male. The youngest graduate is 19-years-old, while the oldest is 73-years-old.

Data involving GPAs and other academic rankings are usually not available until later when all final exams have been graded, university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said

However, approximately 420 undergraduate students are members of the Honors Program and 24 are University Scholars, the highest academic honor.

This year’s undergraduate class includes 118 U.S. military veterans. Nearly 1,500 students will be the first in their families to graduate from college. There are even 45 sets of graduating twins, according to the Registrar.

This weekend’s ceremonies will feature speeches by Lynda Mullaly Hunt for the Neag School of Education; Thomas Loughman for the School of Fine Arts; Emily Bazelon for the School of Law; Susan Frampton for the School of Nursing; Christopher Fortier and James Sarigianis for the School of Pharmacy; and Stuart Rothenberg for the Graduate School.

Mullaly Hunt is a New York Times best-selling children’s author whose two novels were granted multiple awards. She earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Neag School of Education. 

Loughman is the director and CEO of the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum in Hartford, Connecticut.

Bazelon is a senior research scholar in law at Yale Law School in New Haven, Connecticut. She also has experience writing at the New York Times Magazine and Slate.

Frampton is the president of Planetree International, a non-profit organization that works with healthcare providers in 22 countries.

Fortier is the chief pharmacy officer at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Fortier received his bachelor’s and doctorate degrees from UConn.

Sarigianis is a clinical pharmacist at the Yale New Haven Hospital, as well as an adjunct faculty for UConn and the University of Rhode Island.

Rothenberg is a political analyst and journalist whose work has featured in The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Today Show, Meet the Press and Nightline. He earned a master’s and a doctorate degree from UConn.

Claire Galvin is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus.   She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.