Then (2013) vs. Now (2017)

President Donald Trump speaks during his meeting with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull aboard the USS Intrepid, a decommissioned aircraft carrier docked in the Hudson River in New York, Thursday, May 4, 2017. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Eight semesters ago, the majority of UConn’s Class of 2017 drove into Storrs and had no idea what the next four years would bring.

Personally, I have travelled the globe, gone from blonde to brunette and almost back again, made hundreds of friends, lost a few, joined the school newspaper and even failed a class or two.

Although we all expected to learn and grow into a smart and seasoned adult, the world has changed with us and looking back is always a little frightening but very fun.

2013-14

Early in 2013, President Barack Obama was sworn in for his second term and Pope Francis was elected the 266th pope. Several notable leaders passed away including Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher and Hugo Chavez.

In more political news, 2013 was also the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, same-sex marriage was legalized in multiple states including Maryland, Delaware and Minnesota before the U.S. Supreme Court also ruled in favor of equal marriage rights, and the U.S. government shut down for for two weeks in October.

During our freshman year, the Baltimore Ravens won Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans against the San Francisco 49ers and UConn men’s and women’s basketball teams won the 2014 NCAA National Championship. UConn field hockey also earned the national championship title for the second year in a row.

SUBOG hosted Timeflies, Chiddy Bang and J. Cole for the biggest concerts.

The 55th Annual Grammy Awards honored Goyte’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” as Record of the Year, Mumford & Sons’ “Babel” earned Album of the Year and Fun was chosen as Best New Artist.

The 85th Academy Awards chose “Argo” as Best Motion Picture, “Django Unchained” as Best Original Screenplay and honored “Life of Pi” with four Oscars, including Best Director and Best Cinematography. Other notable films were “Skyfall,” “Les Miserables,” “Zero Dark Thirty” and “Lincoln.”

Ombre hair became very trendy, along with cut-out dresses and chambray fabric.

The best memes were the doge, unflattering Beyonce and hadokening. Meanwhile, the Harlem Shake took over the internet.

2017

Though we’ve only made it to May, the year has already been one for the books– starting with  President Donald J. Trump’s inauguration and the Women’s March.

The New England Patriots won Super Bowl LI in overtime, after being down 28-3 with only two minutes left in the third quarter to make the biggest comeback in NFL history.

In UConn events, this year’s Spring Concert with Lil Uzi Vert, hosted by SUBOG, was cancelled. Bob Saget of “Full House” and Evan Peters of “American Horror Story” were guest speakers for Spring Weekend 2017.

The film recounting the Boston Marathon bombing, Patriot’s Day, was released four years after the tragic event.

The 59th Grammy Awards honored Adele’s “Hello” as Record of the Year and Song of the Year in addition to giving the album, “25,” Album of the Year. Chance the Rapper won Best New Artist and Best Rap Album for “Coloring Book.”

The 89th Academy Awards gave the Oscar for Best Motion Picture to “Moonlight,” starring Trevante Rhodes, Naomie Harris and Mahershala Ali. The most awards were taken by “La La Land,” starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, including Best Actress for Stone, Best Original Score and Best Director.

Other notable films were “Manchester by the Sea,” “Fences,” “Hacksaw Ridge” and “Hidden Figures.”

The most common trends in women’s fashion are bralettes and chokers.

Crocs are still frowned upon and will be in the foreseeable future.

Meme culture has been running smoothly with salt bae, cash me outside girl and the blinking guy gif. But there is still plenty of time for more history to be made and more memes to go viral in 2017.

Francesca Colturi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.