A year in review: Cancelled concerts, new openings and A-plus comedy

Student's wait in the rain in front of Gampel Pavilion prior to hearing that Lil Uzi would not be coming for the Spring Concert. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Spring concert was NOT Lit(l Uzi Vert)

After students were already standing in the rain eagerly awaiting the doors to open for Lil Uzi Vert’s spring concert, it was announced the rapper would not be appearing. After a flight cancellation due to poor weather, the spring concert was cancelled in an unprecedented move. Hey, at least we got Big Gigantic.

Big Gigantic lights up Jorgensen

Speaking of the EDM duo, while spring concert is normally one of the biggest draws for music on campus, winter concert was arguably one of the best nights for students looking to go see a show. Big Gigantic performed remixes and their own songs, combining electronic music and live saxophone and drums to provide an electrifying night of dancing and an eye-dazzling light show for students.

Trevor Noah talks race and immigration

At the most politically divisive time in many college students’ lives, Noah’s been at the forefront of criticizing the Trump administration on “The Daily Show.” Noah tackled race relations, immigration and political involvement of young people, while managing to squeeze some jokes about selfies and poop into his routine too.

Grille 86: The sports bar that seemed like it would never open

After their opening was delayed for months, Grille 86 opened its doors in early April. The bar and restaurant boasts wings, burgers and 24 beers on tap. Grille 86 quickly became a hang-out for students looking to watch the game over a drink and hearty meal.

Bob Saget: America’s dad drops raunchy jokes

Saget is infamous for his pushing-the-envelope style of stand-up, quite different from his famous role on “Full House.” He delivered as promised as UConn’s Spring Weekend comedy show, laying into audience members, poking fun at former costars John Stamos and Dave Coulier and performing a parody of the Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way” titled “Danny Tanner Was Not Gay.”

Huskies Tavern provides a different kind of night life in Storrs

Simply referred to now as “The Tavern,” Huskies Bar opened the tavern next door in late March. Featuring acoustic music, craft beers and $5 appetizers, it didn’t take long for The Taverm to become beloved by students.

Brad Paisley surprises campus with free concert

Paisley, a country staple, announced UConn was one of the stops on his “Country Nation College Tour” in Oct. Students danced, sang and handed their phone to Paisley to take selfies with the country singer. Paisley cracked jokes and was joined onstage by UConn cheerleaders and the Jonathan mascot.

Ice Monster has a line out the door

Students waited for over an hour for rolled ice cream from Ice Monster in the restaurant’s opening weeks in April. With strawberry, coffee, green tea and Oreo ice cream flavors, Ice Monster became a new spot on campus to grab a sweet treat.

Evan Peters: goofy and relatable

The “American Horror Story” star goofed around with audience members and talked fame, fiancé Emma Roberts and upcoming projects, including the newest season of “AHS.” Peters cheered on audience members who were visibly nervous when asking him questions and learned UConn’s chant during his visit, providing students with plenty of laughs.

Diane Guerrero speaks on immigration

The “Orange is the New Black” actress got personal speaking to students about the deportation of her parents and her activism in immigrant, minority and women’s rights. Guerrero challenged students to speak out against injustice and be politically involved to bring positive change to their communities.

Schae Beaudoin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.