The University of Connecticut’s Dairy Bar and Jones Building were evacuated at approximately 11 a.m. Thursday morning due to a gas leak in the area.
Construction crews who were working to level the ground in the area hit a gas line with a back hoe, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.
While the construction is taking place on the site of the landscaping barn, which recently burned to the ground during a late-night fire in May, the gas leak is not related to the fire, Reitz said.
“It’s the same site because they’re working to level the uneven areas there,” Reitz said. “There’s no relation to the fire.”
The UConn Fire Department promptly responded to the scene of the gas leak. The buildings were evacuated and the area was blocked off.
“It was pretty quick, there weren’t a lot of people there, it’s not that busy this time of year,” Reitz said.
No explosions or injuries were reported, Reitz said.
University Communications sent out an alert at 11:27 a.m. instructing the UConn community to avoid the area.
The gas leak did not cause any major disruptions for the university or those who had to vacate the site, Reitz said.
“There’s not that much over there beyond the Dairy Bar, Jones and a few other buildings,” Reitz said. “(It was) not in a more populated part of campus, which is fortunate.”
The university called Connecticut Natural Gas, a company that provides natural gas to the greater Hartford and Greenwich areas, to assess the situation.
The UConn Fire Department is currently monitoring gas levels, keeping the area blocked off and ensuring there are no potential hazards in the area, such as people smoking.
University Communications will continue to update the UConn Alert system as information becomes available.
The all-clear was issued around 2 p.m. The Dairy Bar and surrounding buildings were unaffected by the leak, and reopened for normal operations at that time, Reitz said.