UConn to replace Mansfield Apartments with new hotel

Students will no longer be able to live in Mansfield Apartments after spring 2018. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut is seeking bids for a private hotel, which will be built on the corner of Route 195 and South Eagleville Road, according to a UConn Today article. The space is currently occupied by the university-owned Mansfield Apartments.

UConn will lease the land to a private operator, allowing for an independently owned and operated 100-room hotel to be built, according to the article. The hotel will not have any affiliation with the university.

Mansfield Apartments will be demolished in 2018, according to the article, and no longer offered as a housing option after spring 2018, so that no students are displaced. The apartments, which were built in the 1950’s, are costly to operate and repair, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

“UConn wouldn’t own or run the hotel, but would receive lease money for the use of the land,” Reitz said.

This is not the first time a privately-owned hotel has operated on the UConn campus. The Nathan Hale Inn was originally opened in 2001, and then purchased by UConn in 2015 for the purpose of converting it into student housing, according to the article. While half of Nathan Hale’s rooms are operating as hotel spaces, the Inn will be fully converted to student housing once construction of the new hotel is complete, according to the article.

“Every university of our size and every downtown like the one we have in Storrs should have access to a good hotel,” said Scott Jordan, UConn’s executive vice president for administration and chief financial officer. “Having a hotel in close proximity to both will help the university and help the community, and add even more life to Storrs Center.”

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu.